Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Alpine route 2024/5/5 06:43
Could anyone advise on the pass(es) to purchase for this route?

4 Nov: Nagoya to Takayama
Tues 5 Nov : Takayama to Shirakawago followed by Kanazawa
Wed 6 Nov: Kanazawa
Thu 7 Nov: Kanazawa to Toyoma to Kurobe Alpine Route with final destination at Nagano
Sat 9 Nov: Nagano to Nagoya

Takayama-Hokuriku Area tourist pass excludes the alpine route while the Alpine- Takayama-
Matsumoto Area tourist pass excludes shirakawago and kanazawa.

Appreciate advice, thanks!
by Amelia (guest)  

Re: Alpine route 2024/5/5 19:18
Takayama-Hokuriku Area tourist pass excludes the alpine route

You also canft get from Nagano to Nagoya. Takayama-Hokuriku Area tourist pass is only valid until Toyama.

the Alpine- Takayama-Matsumoto Area tourist pass excludes shirakawago and kanazawa.

Further this pass is valid for 5 days while your itinerary is 6 days. So you must consider this gticketh.

https://railway.jr-central.co.jp/tickets/otoku_tateyamakurobe/

Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Kippu Hida course valid for 8 days, 21180 yen. If you buy this ticket you must pay additionally:

Bus ticket from Takayama to Shirakawago to Kanazawa and train ticket from Kanazawa to Toyama.

Bus from Shinano-Omachi to Nagano.

Train ticket from Nagano to Matsumoto.

So just compare this pass with the combination of individual tickets.

The pass

21180 yen
Takayama to Shirakawago to Kanazawa and train ticket from Kanazawa to Toyama. This part is required even if you donft use the pass, so donft need to count.

Bus from Shinano-Omachi to Nagano. 2600 yen.

https://www.alpen-route.com/access_new/fare/person/

Train ticket from Nagano to Matsumoto. 2370 yen (Limited express, non-reserved seat).

Total 21180 + 2600 + 2370 = 26150 yen

Individual tickets

Nagoya to Takayama by Limited Express Reserved seat 6540 yen

The alpine route tickets from Dentetsu Toyama to Nagano. 15870 yen

https://www.alpen-route.com/access_new/fare/person/

Train ticket from Nagano to Nagoya. 6930 yen (Limited express, non-reserved seat).

Total 6540 + 15870 + 6930 = 29340

So the pass will be cheaper.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Alpine route 2024/5/5 23:02
Thank you for the useful and informative sharing. Based on the JR central website you shared, the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Kippu Hida pass that you recommended is sold at the stations. As I am residing overseas, does it mean I have to wait till Ifm in Japan to buy the pass and cannot purchase online? Ifm concerned it may be sold out by then as Ifm only arriving in Japan in early November. Appreciate your advice. Thank you!
by Amelia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Alpine route 2024/5/6 05:05
As I am residing overseas, does it mean I have to wait till Ifm in Japan to buy the pass and cannot purchase online?

Yes, actually you will buy the gticket" at JR Nagoya station. I am a Japanese living in southern Kyushu and could not buy it in my hometown so I bought it at JR Nagoya station just before getting on the Hida limited express train.

Ifm concerned it may be sold out by then as Ifm only arriving in Japan in early November. Appreciate your advice. Thank you!

This will not be sold out. As far as I know the ticket is printed when you purchase it at the ticket office. Practically the most difficult process is finding the ticket office. You should have enough time to do this. The buying process by itself including reserved seat ticket will be less than 3 min (if there is no line).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Alpine route 2024/5/6 11:39
Noted thank you so much for sharing!
by Amelia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread