Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/29 15:30
hello,

next time i be in japan (this august) i try to hunt some stag and rhinoceros bettles.
can somebody tell me some good places around tokyo or osaka? they could be away a travel time of around 2 hours. ;)

what is the best time to hunt those beetles?

where can i drive with a train to rural japan country side, go out and directly into the woods for beetle hunting and exploring?

thanks
snk-freak
by snk-freak (guest)  

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/29 18:23
In general - July and August are the best time to go insect hunting.

As it is so warm with good water availability - there seems to always be lots of bugs (albeit not too many flies) around this time of year.

Others can give you specific locations - but I find that nature trails will be a good bet or parks/gardens which are not highly manicured.

Look on the Japan Guide pages for walks and this should help....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/29 22:56
i did not see bugs on those trails...so i guess i have to look directly in the woods. but where is a good place?
by snk-freak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/29 23:15
You can catch beetles in major large parks in both Tokyo and Osaka, include Mt Takao in Tokyo, but they are almost all prohibited to catch insects, birds, fish, small animals and flowers there. You can see them but unable to catch them.
You can't see beetles in small parks mainly located inside residential area.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/29 23:25
You can try catching them at the local pet store, as long as you have money😁, just joking,have you check the customs if you are allows to take them back to your country, may be it better to get them from your own country.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/30 00:02
Stag beetles (kuwagata) can be spotted in the city a lot easier than people normally think. I encounter at least two live ones each summer, usually when I cut off the big branches from the red-robin tree in my yard in an ordinary residential area in Yokohama.

The thing is that people in the cities normally don't grow big trees at their homes (I'm the neighborhood weirdo), and it's not every day that public servants cut branches in the parks.

Wild rhinoceros beetle, on the other hand, are hardly seen in the cities, but can easily be hunted if you go to mountain resorts. You may want to consider booking accomodation in a mountain resort and ask details to the owner while you're at it. All you need to know is the right tree, and you need to get up very early to see them coming for your bate.

As suggested, rhinoceros beetles are commonly sold and exhibited all throughout Japan in summer. I also doubt you can take them home, but you can watch them and take care of them for a while during your stay, unless there are special regulations at your hunting spot.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/30 16:23
thanksfor the info. i wont take them home to germany. ;) only watching them, pick them up and take some awesome photos. ;)

can you recommend any shops in tokyo which sell beetles?

i already visited kinuta park last year around 6 AM, no beetles...

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/30 19:52
The most national and regional parks are prohibited to catch insects there. Therefore, I recommend you to visit some large cemeteries in Tokyo such as Aoyama and Zoshigaya. This is because there are lots of trees in cemeteries.

You need to bring, a torch, insect nets, insect cage and trap(baits). A pair of cotton gloves as option. All can be purchased at 100 Yen shops in summer. You also need to buy torch batteries at 100 Yen shop.

The most important thing to catch insects is the trap bait. I recommend you to buy some banana(you can buy at some 100 Yen shops) and sake(Shochu clear liquor is the best). Put one banana in a plastic bag with sake, leave the bag for one or two nights. It will be quite sweeten smell.

Put the banana in the net or insect net, tight or hang the net to tree around 22:00. Visit the tree every one to two hours.
The sunrise in Tokyo and Osaka in summer season is around 4:30. You can try about 6 times attempt there.

The smell of bait is most important.
You can be seen some picture of sweeten trap bait here.
http://portal.nifty.com/kiji/130805161341_1.htm
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/miburo_snow/31661386.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGuM6cN4gIA

I don't recommend you to put banana trap directly on trees unless it is your own property.

I don't know whether you can bring insects to Germany, I recommend you to check the custom and bio-security regulation of Germany first.

You can also buy beetles at local animal and pet shops and/or some DIY stores around 500 Yen for a male and 300 Yen for a female.
Some vege stores also sell beetles in summer.

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/1/30 21:22
If I remember you can also see them in Ueno Zoo.
But you will get a better view of them at a local pet shop, but I'm sure it's not possible to handle them, may be you can offer money to the shops to handle them and take photo's.

check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuCeWIjOU0w
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/2/5 21:42
and which places are good to catch those beetles on tokyo or around tokyo or osaka? i dont want to take them home, only make photos.

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/2/5 21:51
can somebody tell me where this place is exactly?

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/miburo_snow/31661386.html

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/2/27 17:11
And up you go, i still need help^^

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/2/27 23:45
The blog place is, Arakawa river side bush, Okegawa and Kitamoto city area(called "Egawa" on Arakawa river in the area), Saitama.
There is no specific address. I think the blog writer doesn't like to reveal the specific address due to keeping as hidden place for him/her.

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/4/15 16:47
is there any more information to make out a specific location on google maps?

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/7/21 17:57
which stores do have beetles for sale in tokyo? maybe shinjuku?

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/7/21 21:16
DIY shops and as so called "Home Centers" where handle pet accessories sell beetles this time of the year. One peace of beetle is around 700 Yen. I'm sure "Shimachu" home centers sell them(as larva).

Mushi- sha, Nakano is a very famous insect shop in Tokyo.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/mushi-sha/

Beetle hunting in public parks are strongly prohibited as well as plants. I saw one female beetle last Sat morning(already died), so there are heaps natural beetles around. I think you can see stage beetles along Tamagawa river side between Kawasaki and Ota, Setagaya and Komae cities. Stage beetles love riverside places.

Keio department store in Shinjuku has a pet shop in the sky garden, upper floor, they might sell beetles there. But it's unsure.

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/7/22 20:27
can you please send me a link on google maps for the locations you meant? that would be nice.

and by the way, where can i walk on river sides in tokyo or osaka like the one seen here on the picture?

http://regex.info/i/JEF_050938.jpg

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/7/23 16:12
Can you send me a direct message then I can point you where to go.
The picture looks like Kamogawa riverside in Kyoto.
http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/3a/d2/f72888c9a66c9b49f3b1a11e15fe...

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/7/27 15:30
can you please post a link here? i have some problems registering here... :(

Re: Beetle Hunting places 2015/7/27 16:56
Shima-chu, Nakano, pet and accessory section
2-10-11, Nakano, Nakano-ku, Tokyo 164-0001
Open:10:00 - 20:00(Mon-Sun)

Mushi-sha
2-23-1, Nakano, Nakano-ku, Tokyo 164-0001
New Green Bldg, Room number:209
Open:11:00 - 20:00(Mon-Sun)

D Goods, Nakano
2-11-6, Nakano, Nakano-ku, Tokyo
Open:13:00 - 19:30(Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri)
12:00 - 19:30(Sat)
12:00 - 19:00(Sun and holiday)
Closed: Wed

All three shops are very close each other(5 mins walking distance)
Visit Mushi-sha first, then Shina-chu Nakano, and D Goods last.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread