Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Golden Week 2015/3/10 15:19
Hi all, is it a good idea to visit Japan during Golden Week? Or should it be avoided due to crowds, shops closing and peak rate accommodation.
by lapsapfler (guest)  

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/10 16:47
Avoid if you have other possible dates to travel. Flight and accommodation are expensive and the latter will be mostly booked out, plus there will be large crowds as domestic travel will be high. I live in Japan, and also plan to travel during Golden week because I don't have much choice due to work. If I could travel on other dates, I'll most likely do so.
by mori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/10 23:53
I was in Japan during the 2012 Golden Week.
Been in Osaka, Kumamoto et Fukuoka. I didn't felt there was more people than usual.
There is always so much people in big cities.
by nekochan07 rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/12 06:27
I've traveled to Japan during Golden Week - it was good. No especially large crowds and because it is longer than some of the other holiday periods, the trains were not too full.

Plan ahead, and it doesn't need to be expensive.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/13 01:48
Thanks for the advise..are there any particular festivals/events that only happen during Golden Week? If they are, is it worth it to visit just for these events?
by lapsapfler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/13 01:53
The main problem with Golden Week is accommodation and trains at key times.

If you book accommodation early - then it should not be a problem.

Also - if you have to travel on the last day of Golden week via train then it can be hard to get a seat or even on the train.

One year - I could only get accommodation at a reasonable price near Ise (Mie Prefecture) that was a reasonable distance from Tokyo. It did end up being enjoyable though....

Big crowds in Japan are more doable than other countries - but this is mainly due to people knowing it will be busy and normally wait their turn....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/13 08:00
Have you booked your accommodation? If you're asking on this forum, I stronglstrongly suggest you book asap. I tried to book a hotel (within reasonable budget) in Hakata just days ago, and they're all booked out. Zilch. Nada. Except for a dormitory which I've somehow resigned to. I wanted to book a room near a ryokan at Dogo Onsen, they emailed back to inform that they've ran out of single rooms.

I initially tried booking a domestic flight to Tokyo via Spring Airlines, ticket prices are double the dates right before and after GW.

Don't say it's not forewarned if you've not done any booking.
by mori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/13 11:17
I went to the Hakata and Hiroshima during Golden week two years ago. Hakata had the Dontaku Port Festival, and Hiroshima had the Yosakoi Dance Parade. I would go to both again in a heartbeat.

http://fukuoka-now.com/feature/hakata-dontaku-port-festival-2/
http://www.goldenjipangu.com/150503hiroshima.html

In between Hiroshima and Hakata is a very nice garden located in Kitakyushu, that is dedicated to Wisteria. The Fuji (Japanese for Wisteria) Tunnels are a sight to see, and they peak around Golden Week.

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/02/wisteria-flower-tunnel-kawachi-fuji-g...

There is a complimentary shuttle bus Yahata Station station to a hot springs onsen spa called Ajisai-no-yu, which is about 200 meters away from the Kawachi Fuji Gardens. I would advise you to take the shuttle and go to the gardens first, and then have a visit to the Onsen before returning to Yahata Station.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week 2015/3/15 01:31
Thanks all for your replies. I'm looking to book flights now (we're flying from Australia). Seems like crowds are manageable but accommodation could be a problem during Golden Week. I think I'll book for mid-May (just after GW).
by lapsapfler (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread