Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/11 16:35
Hi, I will be in Japan for 10 days and I had purchased the 7days JR pass.

For the first few days, I will be based in Kyoto and will travel to Osaka and Nara. Any suggestion what kind of pass should I purchase?

Plan to activate my JRpass from Kyoto to Takayama and Shirakawago. Which JR line should I take ? The challenge come in when I need to travel from Takayama to Sano(near Hakone). Any recommendation which is the best way using the JR pass to Sano ?

My last stop will be Tokyo, can my JR pass used for Tokyo city subway? Thank you.
by michelle (guest)  

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/11 17:01
As the name JR implies this pass is valid for the JR lines within Tokyo.

Which means you can use it for Yamanote, Chuo, Keihin-Tohoku lines (Tokyo Monorail too)

But the Tokyo Metro/Toei subway/ dozen other train companies? No
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/11 18:46
Judging by your itinerary, a JR pass may not pay off.
Maybe a little more research on this site in particular will help you plan.

Use www.hyperdia.com to plan your train travel.
If the cost of the trips do not add up to the cost of the JR Pass then it is not worth it.

For the first few days, I will be based in Kyoto and will travel to Osaka and Nara. Any suggestion what kind of pass should I purchase?
You do not say how many days in each place, so it is difficult to advise.
It may be possible to activate your pass in Kyoto, you can use your JR pass to go from Kyoto to Osaka and Nara, and on the Osaka Loop line: BUT I dont think a pass will pay off

Plan to activate my JRpass from Kyoto to Takayama and Shirakawago. Which JR line should I take ? The challenge come in when I need to travel from Takayama to Sano(near Hakone). Any recommendation which is the best way using the JR pass to Sano ?

Essentially it is a shinkansen to Nagoya, then the Wide View Hida to Takayama.
You will need to pay for the Nohi Bus to Shirakawago and back.
To get to Hakone, it is the Wide View Hida back from Takayama to Nagoya, then a Shinkansen to Odawara, and local transport from there to Hakone.

My last stop will be Tokyo, can my JR pass used for Tokyo city subway?
NO: it is a JR Pass, for JR lines only.

Personally, I think you would be better off
1. purchasing an ICOCA card in Kyoto: you can use that on subways and buses in Kyoto, and also in Tokyo when you get there
2. paying for individual long distance tickets
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/11 21:46
The OP stated they have already purchased the Japan rail pass - so telling them it's not worth it is pointless.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/11 23:25
May I ask if you are saying Sano, Tochigi Prefecture which is not near Hakone

or maybe its,

Susono, Shizuoka Prefecture which is close to Hakone?
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/12 09:57
You can return the JR Pass. So it is not worthless.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/12 10:45
Hi all,

Thank you for your reply. I never thought is kind of stressful and confused about japan transportation. I b staying in Sano,Susono, just catch a glimpse of Mt.Fuji, still unsure,is it worth the time and cost.

Btw, I plan to spend 3nights in Kyoto, 2 nights in Takayama, 1 night Sano, 3nights Tokyo. I hope I am not in an amazing race..:)
by michellle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/12 11:53
This probably will help:
Note it must be JR Lines for this to work but it could take a little bit longer train ride.
Also assuming your flying into Kansai Airport Osaka.

Day
Activated JR Pass on this day at airport
01 Arrive Osaka, train to Kyoto
Kansai Airport to Kyoto JR lines 4220yen

02 Kyoto
Bus network is pretty good, could do day pass, I believe it was 800yen. Could also use some JR lines.

03 Kyoto -Nara and Osaka Day trip
Kyoto to Nara JR Lines 710yen
Nara to Osaka JR Lines 800yen
Osaka to Kyoto JRLines 1730yen

04 Takayama
Kyoto to Takayama JR Shinkansen and JR Lines 9960Yen

05 Takayama Shirakawago Daytrip
You need to buy bus tickets at Nohi Bus center right beside Takayama Station. Roundtrip 4420yen http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.html

06 Sano, Susono
Takayama to Susono JR Shinkansen and JR Lines 11360yen

07 Tokyo
Susono to Tokyo JR Lines and JR Shinkansen 4520yen
JR Pass ends at 2359 today

Grab a Sucia or Pasmo Card here for rest of trip http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

08 Tokyo
09 Tokyo
10 Leave Tokyo

Total Yen 33300+
7 days Japan Rail Pass 29,110 yen

In this scenario the pass would pay off!

Check train times and pricing here http://www.hyperdia.com/

Just make sure to take of Private Lines and Nozomi trains off as it is not valid on those ones.

The only other thing is, I'm not sure you would see Mt Fuji from Susono but other that it should be fun.

Hope this helps!!!

Have Fun!!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: how to maximize usage of JR pass 2015/3/16 15:56
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. However, I had changed Susono to Hakone as it seem more appropriate for Mt.Fuji.

I am still unsure whether to return the 7 days JR pass, I guess I will stick to it. Maybe will get an ICOCA in Kyoto or Suica in Tokyo to compliment another 3 days.

Thank you.
by michelle (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread