Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 06:20
Hello!
We are going to be in Kamakura on start of April.
We plan a full day trip from Tokyo.
We thought to take the Daibutsu Hiking Course, but starting at the Buddha Statue and finishing at Jochiji Temple.

1) How is the Hiking Course? Is it worthwile?
2) How is the orientation on the course? How will we make sure we won't get lost? (we don't have any GPS with us). Are there any signs/pathes/etc?

Thanks!
by Michael (guest)  

Re: Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 12:27
1) How is the Hiking Course? Is it worthwile?

It is nothing outstanding. But a very nice change to walking in the busy city streets and riding the (possibly busy) Enoden.

How is the orientation on the course? How will we make sure we won't get lost?

There are lots of signs and maps. I think most are bilingual. At some points, it is a little bit confusing because there are multiple trails and park areas, but most people should manage.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 12:28
The good/bad thing about Kamakura at this time of year is the crowds - oh the crowds!! As such - you just follow the sea of people doing the same as you.

I've not walked on that course (I don't think) - but I've been on other ones in Kamakura. In general, they are nice but nothing spectacular.

Do expect them to be busy but thankfully less busy than the main town. Get a map from the tourist office and ask for general directions from them.

I'm also aware that you might be able to get a free guide as well if you contact them early enough....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 14:49
This hiking trail, You will climb from the front of the right side of the stairs of the previous tunnel of Buddha.
By all means, please walking in sneakers or trekking shoes.
Do not know whether there was a English notation, sign stood a lot.
I arrived in zeniarai benten.
Kamakura Welcome Guide
http://www1.kamakuranet.ne.jp/kwga/
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 19:18
We did this Hiking Course the other way ie from Kita Kamakura to the Daibahtsu: (because this way it was mostly downhill) we went via the temple for washing money, which was a bit of fun.
We really liked it: it wasnft difficult, had few other people (in early November) and it was a different way to see the area, rather than the usual bitumen and crowds.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 19:32
Is it hard to do the trail from the Buddha statute? Because we go uphill? Or is it possible
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 22:12
I began to walk from the nearby Big Buddha.
It if people who can walk normally, you can walk.
Because I was not going to walk the hiking course, I had to walk in the long boots.
It was pretty hard.
Such as skirts and high heels, unless dressed unsuitable for hiking, and easy to walk.
Part, there was a place to climb while caught in a tree.
But, it is a fun experience.

Re: Daibutsu Hiking Course 2015/3/14 22:24
This is a youtube of the opposite route.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZwgq7a0r4
When I see this, it seems there is also an English guide plate notation.
Recently, it open itsuki Garden in Sasuke Inari side.
It is possible also to go from hiking trails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjhQ4Lc7h8

reply to this thread