Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/3/14 21:05
Hi there,

Hope to get some advice regarding the Kintetsu Rail Pass.

1. Can I buy both Kintetsu Rail Pass and Kintetsu Rail Pass Wide from Meitetsu Travel Plaza in Central Japan Airport?

2. I understand the pass includes 3 vouchers for use on Ltd Exp trains. Is this exchange of voucher on Ltd Exp train free of charge? When I exchange a voucher for a Ltd Exp train, do I need to pay any additional fee or service charge?

3. I will use the 1st voucher for the Ltd Exp train from airport to Meitetsunagoya. Can I buy in advance tickets for my next two Ltd Exp trains at the counter where I purchase the ticket from airport to Nagoya city?

4. If the answer for question no. 3 is NO, does that mean I can only exchange voucher for my next Ltd Exp only at the station of my departure and only just before my departure?

Sorry for my numerous questions. Any info will help me in my budget and journey planning.

Thank you in advance!
by Clifford (guest)  

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/3/14 23:26
Here is the Japan Guide's page on the Kintetsu Wide area Pass:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html

If you look on this page, I believe that it tell you that you can purchase this pass at the Meitetsu Travel Plaza at the airport.

I have never purchased and used this pass, but at far as I understand it, there are five vouchers on the Kintetsu Wide area pass.

There are two airport vouchers that can be used at either Nagoya or Osaka (Namba area). These can be use outside of the five day period where the Kintetsu rail part of the pass is active.

There are three vouchers for Limited Express travel on the Kintetsu rail system within the five day period where the Kintetsu rail part of the pass is active.

What I don't know is: if you want to take a Limited Express from Osaka-Namba Station to Kyoto Station, does this take two of your Limited Express vouchers, because you will have to change Limited Express trains at Yamadosaidaiji Station, or, does the Kintetsu line consider this a use of only one voucher.

by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/3/14 23:54
The 2 airport transfer vouchers requires the payment of a supplement if you wish to take the Ltd Express, either Meitetsu or Nankai Railway. The 3 Ltd Express vouchers are to be used for Kintetsu Ltd Express trains and there is no additional cost for reservations. Once you have validated your pass, you can make all the seat reservations required. There is a special Ltd Express train which is not covered by this pass. Even if a change of train is required, only one Ltd Express voucher is needed, but you cannot exit the gates until you complete your journey.

by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/3/14 23:58
1. probably YES. there seems to be no restriction.

2. and 3.
3 vouchers for use on Ltd Exp trains of KINTETSU railways only.
exchange of vouchers to limited express tickets is free, no charge.

about Meitetsu limited express,
some limited express have non-reserved cars. no additional fee. in Meitetsu, the additonal fee seems to be the seat reservation fee(360yen), (limited express is free and seat reservation is 360 yen.)
although, in their website, there is no statement that you can take limited express reservation by paying 360 yen, I think it is probable.

if you look at the timetable from Nagoya to the airport.
in one hour around 12AM, 6 trains run.
2 limited express all seat reserved.
2 limited express reserved(360yen) and non-reserved(free).
2 regular express non-reserved(free)
therefore, I think you can take either of 4 trains in one hour with no fee.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/3/15 01:41
Thank You, CS Tan, for answering my question about taking a limited express from Namba to Kyoto. I figured that was the case, but I didn't know for sure.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/3/15 11:45
Hello there, thank you all for the info!

I understand the part on using Ltd Exp vouchers for seat reservation (allowed up to 3 times) at no fee charge within the 5 days.

I would like to seek explanation more on using the airport transfer vouchers. I was under the impression that I can take Ltd Exp at no free using this airport transfer vouchers too. Guess I am wrong.

May I seek further clarifications. Below is the train types which I am confused about.

1. Centrair Airport to Meitutsunagoya Station
a. Meitetsu Mu-SKY Ltd Exp (Y1230 = fare Y870 + seat Y360)
b. Meitetsu Ltd Exp (Y1230 = fare Y870 + seat 360)
Note: For (b), fare will be Y870 if go for unreserved seat

2. Namba Nankai station to Kansai Airport
a. Nankai Lit Exp Rapid 23 (Y1430 = fare Y920 + seat 510)
b. Nankai Airport Exp (Y920 = fare Y920 + seat Y0)

Sorry to bother but can I ask:
a. which train can I take if I do not want to pay extra on top of paying the wide version pass?
b. If I have to pay extra for taking the train together with using the pass, then which train types and how much of the extra I have to pay then?

Really sorry but hope to get some advice again,to work out the lowest budget for my family.

Thank you!
by Clifford (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/4/2 11:34
here is my question: arrive KIX at 18:30 on 06/24, leave KIX 17:30 on 6/30, plan to buy the wide pass at KIX, only use the airport transfer on 6/24. Activate the pass on 6/25, use it all the way to 6/30. Is it doable? Thanks
by Will Li (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread