Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Passes? 2015/3/21 18:09
I'm sorry if this question is over asked. It's our first trip to Japan and my partner and I only have about just under 8 days here. This is our current itinerary, and we're wondering if any of the JR passes are worth purchasing?

We will be based in Meguro during our Tokyo leg, with 1 overnight stay in Matsumoto, and then based on Osaka and flying off from there.

Day 1 Narita Airport - Meguro, Tokyo
Day 2 Meguro, Tokyo
Day 3 Tokyo - Fuji 5 Lakes
Day 4 Tokyo - Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route - Matsumoto
Day 5 Matsumoto - Osaka (Namba)
Day 6 Osaka - Kyoto - Osaka
Day 7 Osaka - Nara - Osaka
Day 8 Osaka - Kansai Airport

I tried calculating using Hyperdia, and it APPEARS that the JR Pass is more or less the same cost if we get single trip tickets because we are not doing any round-trips (ie. from Tokyo to Osaka then back to Tokyo). But we will be taking the Shinkansen twice, because of the Alpine Route. So I'm still not sure, especially since it's our first trip and there's just too many train lines and passes to consider. Would really appreciate any help we can get!
by bigandsmall  

Re: JR Passes? 2015/3/21 22:09
The alpine route is not covered by the JR Pass.

by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Passes? 2015/3/22 02:32
Letfs take a look:

Day 1 Narita Airport - Meguro, Tokyo Activate JR Pass at airport first day. Narita Express and JR Yamanote Line 3360yen

Day 2 Meguro, Tokyo

Day 3 Tokyo - Fuji 5 Lakes JR Yamanote Line and Limited Express from Shinjuku to Otsuki would be covered. The FujiQ Railway to Kawaguchiko is private line. Roundtrip 5880yen.

Day 4 Tokyo - Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route - Matsumoto
So this one would probably make sense to go with Shinkansen Meguro-Tokyo-Toyama to get to Alpine Route 12730yen
Im assuming youfre going after April 16? In which case you could do this http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7550.html thru the Alpine Route, eventually getting to Shinano-Omachi Station. Of course this part is NOT covered.
Shinano Omachi to Matsumoto JR Oito Line 670yen

Day 5 Matsumoto - Osaka (Namba)
All JR lines with Shinkansen and Osaka loop lines 10600yen

Day 6 Osaka - Kyoto - Osaka
JR lines roundtrip. 1840yen-5140yen this depends on which trains you take

Day 7 Osaka - Nara - Osaka
JR lines roundtrip 1120yen
7 day JR Rail Pass ends today at 2359

Day 8 Osaka - Kansai Airport
This will be private lines or JR lines

Aprox. Total 362000+yen and of course using other JR lines in Tokyo and Osaka are priceless with the pass.
7 Day Rail Pass 29,110 YEN

It would seem JR Pass is worth it!

Hope this helps!
Have Fun!!!

Links http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: JR Passes? 2015/3/22 02:35
Opps one too many zeros XD
It should read 36200+ yen
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: JR Passes? 2015/4/9 14:44
Fantastic.
I finally got all my itinerary worked out and did all my calculations using hyperdia.

thanks everyone for the help!
by bigandsmall rate this post as useful

reply to this thread