Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Years Week 2015/4/7 13:13
Hi Everyone,

We are 2 families travelling together (4 children aged 8-12) to Tokyo arriving Friday afternoon 1st of Jan and leaving Thursday morning 7th of January. We will be staying in Tokyo with maybe 1 side trip. I have read the other forum posts and guide about this week but am still trying to work out the best way to organise the week given that some things would be closed and other area's will be super busy for Hatsumode. We don't want to be too busy with the kids. If we visited the following areas (+ couple of others);

Shibuya / Harajuku / Meiji Shrine
Asakusa / Ueno
Kamakura or Shinkansen trip
Odaiba
Zozoji / Tokyo Tower / Hamarikuyen (this is near our hotel).

What order days wise would you do it in.

Thanks again
by Lovejapanaswell (guest)  

Re: New Years Week 2015/4/7 14:03
Meiji Shrine, Asakusa (temple), Kamakura (many temples), and Zozoji (temple) will be very crowded with the Hatsumode in any case. You'd need to be ready to wait in queues for hours to get in.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New Years Week 2015/4/7 16:46
If you must visit major temples/shrines, go on the 4th or after, because the crowd will ease down.

But what I truly recommend for N/Y are minor temples/shrines in residential areas. There is less crowd, and the atmosphere will be much local.

You seem to be staying at a very hotel-friendly area, so get in touch with a conceirge and make sure your desitnation is operating before you leave each day. I wouldn't worry much if you were a young couple, but with children this will help you a lot.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: New Years Week 2015/4/7 18:35
Thanks Uco :-)
by Lovejapanaswell (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread