Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kibune Kawadoko 2015/4/9 02:21
I am traveling to Japan in early June and Kyoto is part of my itinerary. As I was going thoroughly going through Kyoto's must-do list, I came across with Kibune kawadoko. But reviews varied person to person as some said it was mesmerizing experience while some said it was not worth the money and time.
I narrowed down my Kibune kawadoko restaurant's to three: Hirobun, Hyoue, and Hiroya. I could hardly get the details about the food quality in there so it became difficult for me to decide one final.
Also, I had two menus to choose: Nagashi somen and Kaiseki ryori. I understand those two differ in price to great extent, so I thought no matter how much the bill goes, I'll choose the one worth experience. So here are my questions:

1. Is Kibune kawadoko worth the money, time and effort (it takes some time to get there from Kyoto station)?
If yes for question 1,
2. Which is worth the money: Nagashi somen or Kaiseki?
3. Which Kibune kawadoko restaurant has the best view and ambience? (I saw dozens of beautiful kawadoko scenery photographs and I am hoping the reality can measure up to pictures.)

Helpppppp
by sleeplessletters  

Re: Kibune Kawadoko 2015/4/9 19:05
As your research gave you, it varies by person. For me it was a worthwhile experience, but for yourself... I wouldnt know.
To get there you have got to take the train or bus to DemachiYanagi Station. From there transfer to the train to Kibune station (second last stop with frequent buses to Kibune central area).

Soumen is more a fun activitiy then for yumminess. Soumen is cold noodles served during summer. It goes down a slide with cold running water pushing it. Think a water slide of an water adventure park. People stand by the sides i try to scoop up the flowing noodles with their chopsticks, dip it into a bowl of sauce and slurp it.
Fun and pretty much unique to Japan.
Kaiseki Ryori on the other hand is Japan Traditional food. It is one of the things Kyoto is known for being the traditional capital.
Dishes and sides are season and location dependent. So going to different cities in different months would result in different meals.

Soumen is definetly more value for money as it would be cheaper, though it would still be pricey for just some noodles.

It is really nice and refreshing as the cool river water literally runs under your feet. Sounds of water flowing and maybe even a waterfall may be heard. It is the old way of chilling, before aircon and the Hifi systems, and TV came about.

When i went i only saw 3 restaurants. Of which 2 are by the same owners, but built separate as building one large restaurant would not give the best water dinning experience (scenery, angle of river...)
I cant say which the best, but the one i went to was the one furthest of the city center, and nearest to the train station (walked 15 minutes from the station, please take the bus)
This one as compared to the other two had less seating area and was more isolated giving a more private feel.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kibune Kawadoko 2015/4/9 19:14
Thank you!
I should rather go for Nagashi soumen then.
By any chance, do you remember the restaurant's name you went? Do they serve Nagashi soumen too?
by sleeplessletters rate this post as useful

reply to this thread