Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/21 05:35
I have already purchased an Ordinary JR Pass for my trip in May. However I have decided to splurge and go for a Green Car JR Pass instead.

Is there a way I can change my ordinary car pass for a green car pass when I arrive in Japan ? Would I be able to pay the difference between the ordinary car pass and a green car pass?
by Yum (guest)  

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/21 10:13
As far as I know, the purchase needs to be done outside Japan. I think you need to refund your current one and buy a Green Pass anew from the agent where you made the earlier purchase. Check with your agent.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/21 10:14
No, it is not possible to "upgrade" a JR pass by just paying the price difference. The only thing you can do is send your ordinary pass voucher back to the seller for a refund, and order a new Green one.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 14:51
We have been to Japan a few times and always purchased GREEN CAR passes except the last time ( we returned two days ago ) where we had an ordinary pass. Quite frankly we didn't experience any negatives from having the ordinary compared to the GREEN. We were able to reserve our seats just as easily in an ordinary car. The seats may be a little smaller ( I'm not sure ) but I cant see the value of paying the extra money for the GREEN. We were there during the Cherry Blossom rush and travelled between Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo with no problems.
by Lance Cross (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 16:19
Green car has 2+2 seating, carpet and foot rests - it is nicer.

But

On some trains the green car has quite limited space (eg Sakura shinkansen).

If you are doing a lot of travelling, then it can be worth the extra (about 1/3 more expensive).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 17:07
But then the Sakura Shinkansen has comfortable 2-2 seating arrangement in the ordinary reserved cars (vs 2-3 in unreserved cars).
by Cai_DY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 17:44
I can't imagine a country in the world where travelling in JR ordinary class would be a disappointment.

Japan is a world leader in train travel. Ordinary class shinkansen seats are excellent.

There are plenty of ways to blow some cash in Japan on something really unique. I wouldn't say a Green Car ticket is one of them.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 18:17
While it is true that it might not be worth having a JR Green Pass for Shinkansen's only apart from Golden Week & Obon (if that's allowed), they can be worth their weight in Gold for some other regional trains. It's just more a question of tastes.

For me, I'll be travelling via JR Green Pass when I visit Japan this time, but it's only because almost all of my travel has been by normal class due to living in Japan (the extra cost for locals is huge!)

And to the best of my knowledge, you can may be able to possibly cancel and have your tickets re-issued but at a reasonably high cost (I think mine is $100 AUD a ticket) but I may be wrong on the last point for cost.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 19:16
[There are plenty of ways to blow some cash in Japan on something really unique. I wouldn't say a Green Car ticket is one of them.]
Hmmm: sorry, not being difficult, but not sure I totally agree, given my experience: it really is each to their own: it definitely depends on age, ability to afford, and personal preference. I darenft discount personal preference, irrespective of age.
We, 3 60-69 year old adults, have just used a 21 day Ordinary Class Pass, using over 3000 klms of travel: (you should see the map!!!) guess who was always in the middle on Shinkansens......sob....
Having now spent 4 trips in Ordinary Class, and 2 trips in Green Class, my advice is, if you can afford it without compromising other aspects of your life/trip, then go for it: the Green Class travel is delightful, roomier, and generally easier: ever noticed how the Green cars stop right where the lifts/escalators are? Wonderful.......
Our next trip will hopefully be in Green Car, but I have no issue if it has to be in Ordinary Class either...love JR however it is.....
Do what ever suits your budget, preference, and enjoy.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 19:25
they can be worth their weight in Gold for some other regional trains.

It's very difficult to make a JR pass pay off on non-Shinkansen trains, however. And for an individual train, it's always possible to buy a Green ticket, which can be very cheap on non-Shinkansen trains (the pass still covers the base fare).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/22 19:47
I have travelled both: Ordinary and Green Car. Yes I liked the ordinary car very much and it was so much better than what I am used to here in Belgium... but I liked the Green Car even better...So when I will be traveling long distances I definitively will buy the Green Car pass again.
by blackpepper (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/23 00:14
Of course Green Car would be nice for a treat. And if money's no object, then paying an extra 1/3rd for a Green Pass is what you'll do, and you probably won't be asking questions about it on forums.

All I'm saying is that if you have limited means and you're trying to do something uniquely Japanese with your cash whilst in Japan, I wouldn't imagine that you'd use it on a Green Pass.

If someone gave me 9-10,000 Yen (based on a 1 week pass), I'd come up with a long list of things to do with it before I got to "Buy a Green Pass".

I'm only labouring the point because, judging from the tone of some of the questions that come up on here quite frequently, there seems to be a significant trend for people to assume that normal class JR travel is somehow lacking in quality, whereas it's actually fantastic.

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/23 01:24
True Firas - your right on that one. There are only a couple of express regional trains which I was talking about, with those often only being 3-4000 more than the normal ticket cost.

On another note - it's nice to see a thread where people disagree on a minor point but still try and be nice to one another. If only this was the same on other forums :-(

I also agree that travelling by Green Car depends on taste and budget...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Changing an Ordinary JR Pass to Green Car 2015/4/23 17:55
Hear, hear, mfedley.

reply to this thread