Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko worth staying one night? two? 2015/4/21 06:04
Hey all,

I am traveling with my girlfriend around japan as a graduation present. We will be getting into Nikko on 5/15. I noticed online here they mention all of the construction on the shrines. Has anyone been disappointed because of the construction? Was it worth the 1300 yen to see all of the shrines even though some are under construction?

Also we will be staying overnight, possibly two. Since this is a budget trip we were thinking hostels, any recommendations? I have heard the nightlife is very minimal here...would just a day trip and skipping the nightlife be the better option as we continue westward?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

CamMN
by CamMN  

Re: Nikko worth staying one night? two? 2015/4/21 12:24
Nightlife is minimal, but there are some great onsens in the area if that is your thing. I wouldn't suggest two nights in Nikko unless you like to hike. There are some excellent trails in and around Nikko. I thought Edo Wonderland was lots of fun for half a day or so, but I understand Japanese and Japanese history. Maybe it isn't as interesting if you don't.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/tag/nikko/

by acase (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko worth staying one night? two? 2015/4/21 17:05
Indeed, it depends on why you want to go to Nikko. What do you want to do in Japan.

If you skip the second night, how are you going to spend it? If it is to be used for a trip to say... Obama then naturally its a no.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko worth staying one night? two? 2015/4/21 23:20
We would either be coming into Nikko in the late evening after we grab our things from Tokyo and stay the night in Nikko so we would have an early start to see everything, as well as stay the second night.

Otherwise we would stay in Tokyo and travel up to Nikko that next morning, making it a day trip and sleeping in Nikko for just that one night.

We would be leaving to Hakone the next morning
by CamMN rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko worth staying one night? two? 2015/4/22 09:53
Well if you are alreay spending a couple of days in Tokyo, you might as well spend more time in Nikko. Staying at a ryokan is always an immersing experience. The only depending figure is your budget.

Hakone has views of Fuji and some attractions but their hotels are known to be overpriced. (Anything Fuji related has a markup)
You might want to transfer some of your lodging budget from Hakone to Nikko. Unless, you really desire to take a private onsen bath with your partner .... with views of Fuji.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread