Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Tokyo - one/two night(s) stopover? 2015/4/22 00:15
Hi all,

heading to Japan on May 1st (22 nights) , first time visit and sooo excited!
Have spent the last 2 weeks furiously reading up on where to go/what to see/how to avoid spending a fortune on last minute accomodation etc ;-)
Itinerary so far:-

Nights 1-3 Tokyo
Nights 4-5 Nagasaki (via Experience Japan rate flight)
Nights 6-8 Unzen
Night 9 Kumamoto
Nights 10-12 (activate JR pass) Hiroshima/Miyajima
Nights 13-18 Kyoto (via Himeji plus day/evening trips to Nara and Osaka

Final 4 nights?? Obviously, at this time I don't know whether I'd prefer to head back to Tokyo and use some of the remaining time there for day trips (Nikko? Kamakura?) or rather spend 2 nights somewhere en route and then just have the remaining 2 nights in Tokyo.
Any suggestions please for anything along the lines of Mt Fuji surrounds/Hakone/Izu peninsula? Alternatively over towards Kanazawa for 2 nights?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Rick
by RickO (guest)  

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo - one/two night(s) stopover? 2015/4/22 11:53
Kanazawa is a great stopover for 2 nights. Perfect.

If you want to see some coastal views, Izu peninuslar's Ito, Atami, and Shirahama/Dogashima can also be covered over a two day period.

As a place to visit Kanazawa in more opinion is far more attractive. However, with 22 days, and if you are a fast paced traveller sometimes you might want to have a breather. Izu is such a place. The towns are small and charming. The attractions are simple and hot springs are available. Izu however, is not connected by Shinkansen except Atami and requires some traveling to get to.

Not to say that Kanazawa has no hot springs or isn't charming. Just that the hot springs are further away.

Hakone or Fuji Five lakes are another option. Though, it takes a bit of trouble to get there. I rather look at Fuji as the shinkansen passes by enroute from Kyoto towards tokyo. There are more interesting resort areas than Hakone, and Guji 5 lakes is such a pain to get to that 2 days may not be worth your effort.

If you are interested in some resort experience, since you didnt include Beppu or someother place....
Karuizawa and Nagano are places to consider. As is Kusatsu. Though, Kusatsu has a traditional appeal, its rustic atmostphere also means lesser of trendy cafes and such.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo - one/two night(s) stopover? 2015/4/22 13:47
If you want hot-springs/onsen, then a couple of nights at/near Nagano might suit. You can visit Matsumoto castle on the way. I can recommend a very comfortable ryokan in Togura which also does great local foods. A trip to the snow monkeys is an easy day activity ahead of a decent onsen soak before dinner.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo - one/two night(s) stopover? 2015/4/22 15:48
Nights 1-3 Tokyo
Nights 4-5 Nagasaki (via Experience Japan rate flight)
Nights 6-8 Unzen
Night 9 Kumamoto
Nights 10-12 (activate JR pass) Hiroshima/Miyajima
Nights 13-18 Kyoto (via Himeji plus day/evening trips to Nara and Osaka

Kamakura is worth going, I often go there.
Many nature and good food...
But it will be expensive to get the hotel there, so better to stay Atami or Yokoham and going there next morning.
Hot spring at Atami
Chinese town and beautiful city at Yokohama

The sea of Japan side, Kanazawa will be lovely.

or get the flight to Hokkaido, Otaru and Hakodate will be fun.

Should you need any advise for Tokyo, let me know.

Enjoy your May trip :)
by hiroyogu rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo - one/two night(s) stopover? 2015/4/22 22:26
Thank you all.

I think Kanazawa is the winner!
by RickO (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread