Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Noto Peninsula - A Car or Public Transport 2015/4/26 01:21
Hi All,

At present, I'm planning to visit the Noto Peninsula for 3 nights (2 night Wajima, 1 night Wakura) in that order.

Currently, I'm planning on catching a bus to Wajima from Kanazawa, then a bus and train to Wakura.

However, I have noticed that most of the attractions in the Noto Peninsula are off the beaten track.

As such, I was wondering if people thought that it might be worth hiring a small car for the three nights, which seems to cost around 20,000 Yen.

I am a little hesitant about driving in another country, as the only country I have driven in is Australia and Taiwan. I'm not worried about the local drivers, but more the local roads.

Any info or experience on driving in Japan would be appreciated....
by mfedley  

Re: Noto Peninsula - A Car or Public Transport 2015/4/26 10:59
General opinion seems to be hiring a car: we did a day trip on Hokutetsu Bus, and nothing we went to seemed anywhere near public transport.
We havenft hired a car in Japan, but have been with family who have: all cars there seem to come with GPS, and they programmed it in English.
JTB Australia can help with car hire: at least you can talk to them about it as a starting point.
Hope this helps!
and Enjoy; we just loved our day trip, really wonderful day: [Wajima morning market, Laquerware museum and shop, Sojiji temple (our favourite in all Japan, esp in autumn)Kongo Coast and Chirihama Beach..started out on an expressway straight to Wajima, then scenic back roads from there]
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Noto Peninsula - A Car or Public Transport 2015/4/26 12:27
I think Noto is definitely better with a car. It is extremely rural, and as you well know, public transportation in rural places isn't exactly easy to use. You'll be spending a lot of time waiting on your bus or train instead of seeing the country. I'd train it to Kanazawa then rent a car there.

Noto is rural so you wont have to deal with much traffic, but from what I remember most of the roads are still pretty wide, so you shouldn't have many scary passing moments. When you get the car, take a few moments to just orient yourself to everything and mentally check off where everything is. When I return from my US trips, I always mix the blinker and wipers up! Then, just take a few moments to slowly drive around the parking area/around the block and be hyper sensitive. You'll get used to it VERY quickly, so don't worry too much about it, but getting in a tiny bit of practice before you get started is worth it!

My parents rented a car in Osaka to take them around Shikoku. It came with "English" GPS in that it would talk to you in English, but all the input is still in Japanese. I don't think you'll have problems with it, but I'd look online and get a list of phone numbers for the sites you want to go to, or a local combini in the town you want to go to next, etc. as phone numbers are the easiest to put in. That will help a lot if you get stuck.

I had a great trip around Noto, wish I could have spent an extra day, but we were driving from Gunma and had to get back. Have fun!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Noto Peninsula - A Car or Public Transport 2015/4/26 12:48
I live in Ishikawa (Kanazawa) and Noto is a lot easier to visit with a car. It's very difficult to get around via public transport because most attractions are far away from the train and bus stations. Things in The Noto are a lot more spaced out too so even getting to restaurants and grocery stores without a car can be difficult depending on where you are. Sorry I don't know much about driving as I don't have a car but everywhere I've been to in Noto seems to have big roads. p.s: There are dozens of car hire places all near Kanazawa station.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Noto Peninsula - A Car or Public Transport 2015/4/26 13:54
I am a Japanese living in south Kyushu. When I visited Kanazawa, I got a rental car to do Noto trip which was very enjoyable. In general car trip is more recommended in areas not covered by Shinkansen.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Noto Peninsula - A Car or Public Transport 2015/4/26 14:30
I think I have my answer. Car it is!

My plan is to now drive from Kanazawa to Wajima along the eastern coast. That should allow me to see Keta Taisha Jinja, Myojij, Kongo Coast & Sojiji

On the second day in Wajima - I'll probably drive around the Sosogi coast in a loop.

This leaves a whole day to get from Wajima to Wakura Onsen. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do that day???
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Noto Peninsula - A Car or Public Transport 2015/4/26 15:02
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do that day???

On that day or on the day you leave Kanazawa, you might consider these places which I drove to several years ago.

Chirihama Nagisa drive way

http://goo.gl/MZGMyl

Notojima Aquarium

http://goo.gl/8T0UhX

Notojima Glass Art Museum

http://goo.gl/M6vnFk

Enjoy your trip!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread