Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/13 18:19
I'm travelling to hokkaido during July with my hubby, parents in law and toddler son. We are reaching sapporo at about 12nn day 1 and leaving asahikawa at 1pm on day 6. It's technically about 5 days. The main purpose is to minimise rushing since we have the young and the elderly as well as to cater some sight seeing plus something interesting for the young one. Below is my tentative itinerary with some queries:

Day 1: arrive at sapporo, collect car, tour around sapporo. Overnight sapporo. Anything in particular to look around in sapporo?

Day 2: depart for otaru. Walk around. Proceed to yoichi for cherry picking. Head to niseko. Overnight niseko. I know there is a scenic drive to Cape (I forgot the name) but I'm concerned if this will stretch the day too long for the kid. I have booked unrefundable accommodation in niseko (bad move.. sigh) hence there is no way to skip niseko. Depending on time, walk around niseko and dinner.

Day 3: head for furano. Think this is a long drive. Anything to look around on the way there? And any lunch stops? I have also booked accommodation so it's fixed. We are probably catching their festival held that day with the fireworks. So we hope to be there with sufficient time for the lavender farm.

Day 4: depart furano. (May visit some lavender farms if there's insufficient time previously) Drive through biei. May stop around for photos plus lunch. Head for asahikawa. Overnight asahikawa. Going for ramen. Was planning on going to the zoo that day but unsure if it's too much of a rush.

Day 5: asahikawa zoo if it's not done yet. Planning to go hokuryo for sunflowers but once again unsure how much time is needed to do it leisurely. Overnight asahikawa as well

Day 6: flying off at 130pm to Tokyo. The morning is unplanned. Serves as a buffer as I'm unsure we manage to finish the planned itinerary in asahikawa.

Accommodation for day 1, 4, 5 may be switched if necessary. Driving throughout.

Hope to hear some views from the experienced travellers! Thanks in advance :)
by Christie (guest)  

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/13 23:22
It is understandable that with elderly and children driving is more convenient, but do note that Sapporo is easier to move around using its subway network rather than having had to deal with parking and traffic issues.

Scenic Shakotan Peninsula all the way to Cape Kamui is worth the drive. We did that in the morning and went for a cherry u-pick in one of the Niki/Yoichi orchards in the afternoon. But to include Otaru in the same day and drive down to Niseko for the night may be stretching it. Indeed it is a pity you have to bed down in Niseko which personally I think is miss-able on this particular trip of yours.

The drive from Niseko to Furano is close to 4 hrs and I would not aim for any enroute stop as you might not have enough time in Furano and Biei if you are after flowers and countryside scenery. We drove around the region for 3 full days and still had not seen all we wanted to see. July is peak season and there are lots of colourful flower farms/parks in Furano and Biei. You can expect a bit of traffic and beware of traffic cops who are there to enforce on the speed limit. Also be prepared to queue up for parking in Farm Tomita.

For sunflower in Hokuryu I hope you are visiting during late July. The best time for sunflower there is early August although you can see some if you are there on the last days of July.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/14 00:42
Thanks for the suggestions!

Hi William,

The latest I can visit Hokuryo is 22nd July, the last day before I fly. Is that too early? If so then I may skip it. Also, how about doing otaru in the morning till early noon say 1 or 2pm. Will I still have time for the scenic peninsular drive? Thinking of doing the cherry farms in furano area instead since there seem to be farms there too. Will I be able to reach niseko say by 5 or 6pm?

As for the drive from niseko to furano, I was more of hoping to find a mid point stop for say a quick break and lunch just in case we didn't manage to depart as early as we hope. With a kid it's tough to keep to strict time lines.

I can probably spend 1.5 days in furano and biei area for tje farms and cherry picking and only reach asahikawa in the evening for dinner. And go to the zoo the next day and if worthwhile then head for the sunflowers either on the same day or the morning before I fly. Is this more workable?
by Christie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/14 03:22
Flower blooming depends a lot on the weather and although there will be some to be seen late July it is doubtful it would be spectacular full-blooming on July 22. You can monitor the following webpage for update flowering condition before deciding to go or not.
http://portal.hokuryu.info/himawari#full

Personally I don't feel comfortable if you only have 4-5 hrs for the Shakotan Peninsula and still have to drive down to Niseko. A straight drive from Otaru to Cape Kamui is less than 2 hrs but you still have to set aside time for walking out to the lookout at the top of the cliff. Also along the route brief photo stops should be made for some interesting looking rock formations by the coast. Another longer stop is the Shimamui Coast/Shakotan Cape. The drive from Cape Kamui to Niseko is more than 2 hrs.

Fruit farms in Furano are mostly tourist farms whereas those in Niki and Yoichi area are working farms. May not make a big difference but personally we find an actual working farm more interesting.

There are some roadside rest stops (Michi no eki) enroute from Niseko to Furano. The following one is quite scenic with lake view and is slightly more than 2 hrs drive from Niseko passing Sapporo.
http://www.hkd.mlit.go.jp/zigyoka/z_doro/Michi-no-Eki/110.html

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/14 10:42
Thanks William! I have a better idea of the time required. I'm now thinking of an alternative provided the furano accommodation allows me to change.

Day 1: sapporo
Day 2: shakotan peninsular, overnight niseko
Day 3: yoichi, otaru. Overnight otaru
Day 4: furano
Day 5: biei, asahikawa zoo. Overnight asahikawa
Day 6: kiv hokuryo. Flight out.

But this cuts short time at furano and biei though I should arrive at furano earlier. And I'm unsure if I will have enough time at the zoo. Does this sound workable? I can leave the zoo to the last day before I fly out but that gives me only at best 2.5 hours there since it opens at 930am and I probably have to leave latest 12nn to get lunch and head to the airport as my flight is at 130pm. As it's school holidays, it feels mission impossible.

I had another suggestion to skip sapporo and go around otaru on day 1 instead. Then keep the rest of the itinerary. Should I skip sapporo?

So sorry for the endless queries and thanks for that scenic rest stop. That's exactly what I'm looking for! :)

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/14 14:49
The plan is shaping up, a bit tight after day 4 but do-able.

2.5 hrs for the zoo is OK although children may want more. If the visit falls on a holiday it will definitely be more visitors, so do take note.

Oh no, Sapporo should not be missed. No trip to Hokkaido is complete without a visit to the gateway of the island, IMO. To some average travelers it may just be another city with some minor sightseeing destinations, but even if not for anything else you don't have to look elsewhere for good Hokkaido cuisines especially those famous Hokkaido crabs which are considered must-try. And the highly popular place for all especially children is the interesting chocolate kingdom of fun-filled Shiroi Koibito Park. We are no kids but manage to get a wonderful souvenir by having our picture imprinted on a can of chocolate drink which we still keep at home after more than 10 years!
Not sure if you can be there during its annual summer festival but if yes the whole town is a fiesta and it would be a true memorable experience taking in a lively Japanese festive event.
http://www.sapporo-natsu.com/
http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/event/summer/sapporo_summer_festiva...
To add to the glamour there will be firework display on selected dates and Jul 19 would be the first night for it this year.
http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/event/summer/fireworks/?lang=en

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/14 22:11
Thanks william!!! We are there exactly on 19th but based on new itinerary it's at otaru. Maybe I swop the first and third day. I will skip the kamifurano festival but in return for the sapporo one. Not as bad. Lol.

My son doesn't take that much chocolate but mummy does! I will probably leave the zoo flexible. If we really need more time for the flowers then my son will just have to be happy with 2.5 hours or so of zoo. I will just leave the last day as buffer.

Thanks so much for helping and sharing on that sapporo festival!!!

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/5/15 03:48
Hello!
I went to Hokkaido for a week in July.
Although I have spent time in the south, in Hakodate, I went to Sapporo, Otaru, Biei, Asahikawa and Furano.
You can find places to visit by following these links:

Otaru:http://www.soleilrouge.org/articles/hokkaado-otaru

Sapporo:http://www.soleilrouge.org/articles/hokkaado-sapporo

Asahikawa zoo:http://www.soleilrouge.org/asahikawa-visite-du-zoo-de-asahiyama

Biei farms:http://www.soleilrouge.org/hokkaado-paysages-remarquables

Furano:http://www.soleilrouge.org/hokkaido-descente-a-furano

Have a nice trip!
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: 5 days self drive itinerary hokkaido in july 2015/6/5 01:51
Thanks william!!! We are there exactly on 19th but based on new itinerary it's at otaru. Maybe I swop the first and third day. I will skip the kamifurano festival but in return for the sapporo one. Not as bad. Lol.

My son doesn't take that much chocolate but mummy does! I will probably leave the zoo flexible. If we really need more time for the flowers then my son will just have to be happy with 2.5 hours or so of zoo. I will just leave the last day as buffer.

Thanks so much for helping and sharing on that sapporo festival!!!

reply to this thread