Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need fresh ideas for Autumn trip 2015/5/28 04:13
I'm in need of some outside opinions on where to go this autumn in Japan. I feel like I'm going to end up visiting places I've already been in Japan without some outside influence!

This will be my third trip. In November 2010, my itinerary was Oji, Osaka, Nara, Horyuji, Kyoto, and Tokyo, including Takao. In April 2013 for cherry blossom season (which was disappointingly early), my itinerary was Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto, Okinawa, and Tokyo.

This year, I'll be traveling from November 12 (arriving around 4 pm at Narita) and exiting via Narita around 6 pm on November 25, so almost two weeks. I have it within my budget to obtain a two week JR pass, but juuuust barely. I'd prefer not to spend a lot of time traveling, but am willing to consider it. I'm familiar with low cost carriers such as Jetstar as well, as I used that for Okinawa in 2013.

I feel like I have TOO many ideas but I have no idea how to organize them. Here are some places I'd like to see:

Kumano Kodo
Shirahama (but is it "worth" it in November?)
Nikko (is it too LATE in November?!)
Hakone
Gero Onsen
Iga-Ueno

My only must-do is Kyoto at some point, because Kiyomizudera. It's just that one place I must visit every trip. So, Kyoto for probably one or two nights.

Any input is greatly appreciated! I'm not expecting anyone to make me a complete itinerary, but maybe just touching on some of my concerns about Nikko/Shirahama, or any great off the beaten path autumn spots you have. Thanks!
by Heidi (guest)  

Re: Need fresh ideas for Autumn trip 2015/5/28 12:11
Nikko in the first week of November in 2010 was spectacular. Think we were there around 6th or 7th.
I would consider Kanazawa :
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2167.html
Kenrokuen in Koyo is stunning.
Kanazawa now has the new Shinkansen as well.
We also did a day trip up the Noto Peninsular to Wajima: excellent day, beautiful Koyo at Sojiji Temple.
That was with Hokutetsu bus tour, from memory about 7000Yen including a fantastic lunch.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4250.html
And then you could move in to Shirakawago, also beautiful in autumn
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5950.html
2-3 nights in Kanazawa is always worth while: this year we went to the Ninja temple: extraordinary! Loved it.
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Need fresh ideas for Autumn trip 2015/5/28 13:14
Nara Park in autumn is gorgeous. If you don't mind going back to the Hiroshima area, Miyajima is also really lovely (and super popular) with its maples. About 1.5 hours out of Hiroshima by bus is Sandankyo Gorge, which also has lovely autumn foliage and is a popular day hike.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need fresh ideas for Autumn trip 2015/5/28 13:41
If budget is tight, but you have a train pass (and you've visited before), then stay in some of the smaller places that are cheap. Go to Kyushu, the west coast (either south or north), or to the mountains.

If you want to see autumn colours, then Kanazawa (as mentioned) is a nice place to go. If you want to visit Kyoto again, how about staying near Biwa or in Nagoya (reasonable hotels can be had for US100/night and Meiji Mura was great last autumn).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Need fresh ideas for Autumn trip 2015/5/28 14:21
The great thing about Nikko is the huge difference in elevation allows you to see some type of change of season which is a good thing.

The Kumano Kondo is meant to be beautiful but I'm not sure if it's known for it's autumn colours. I'll be able to answer this question in a little over 6 weeks as I'll be there at this time.

For me, Kyoto is the best at this time (late November)and if the trees are running late then just go into the mountains.

If the first couple of days, you might be able to visit Shoshenkyo Gorge which is almost possible as a day trip from Tokyo (it would be a long day here).

http://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1356

Showa Kinen Koen should be also nice with the Ginko trees which can be found near Tokyo.

http://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1365

I'd probably start near Fukushima/Ibaraki and make my way down further November continues. Central Tohoku should be fantastic around this time of year and slightly higher elevations in Chubu as well.

Others will have better suggestions....

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Need fresh ideas for Autumn trip 2015/5/29 00:44
Thank you, everyone, for the ideas! I read the replies last night right before I went to sleep and was restless thinking about them, haha ...

AusTF, thank you for the input about Nikko! Looks like we may have been in Japan at the same time that year! I wanted to do Nikko then too, but we couldn't do it until the very end, and I didn't want to be there in December. I'm going to try harder! As for Kanazawa, I guess I've never really investigated it until planning for this trip. That coupled with the Noto Peninsula sounds really nice ... and especially with the new shinkansen. Thank you!

sq, Nara in autumn was my very first day in Japan, ever, and I'll never forget it. I want to go back to Nara so badly just to experience it again! But it's one of those things that I almost don't want to re-do because of how great it was ... same with Miyajima! It was one of the only places that had cherry blossoms when we were there ... I'll never forget it. I love Miyajima so much. But that gorge sounds really nice ... and I do have a cousin stationed in Iwakuni right now, so it would be great to see him and get over there, anyway! Thanks!

JapanCustomTours, thanks for the ideas! I will have to investigate Kyushu. There are like, random things I want to see there, such as Beppu, Nagasaki, and Sakurajima, but it seems like lots of things are spread out. Maybe I can look into the Kyushu Pass. Thanks!

mfedley, thank you for sharing your trip report!! WOW ... I just looked up the route on Google Maps. Doesn't look like too far to go, and like a perfect day trip from Tokyo. You are a great photographer! Autumn leaves are just my favorite. Cherry blossoms are great too, but I prefer leaves. Anyway, exciting you'll be on the Kumano Kodo! Sigh ... I'm just wondering if maybe I should save the Shirahama/Wakayama area for a summer time excursion. I look forward to your trip report for that area. I think I will look more into the Tohoku region as well.

Thanks again, everyone!
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread