Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

airbnb any expriance? 2015/5/28 15:40
hi,
I'm thinking about renting an apartment for 9 nights in Shinjuku next year instead of a reserving a hotel with booking.com
any experience with the website Airbnb?
are the hosts and website trust worthy, any problem with them?
or with the money transactions?
by Sigal  

Re: airbnb any expriance? 2015/5/29 09:27
I have no personal experience, but with a service like AirBnB there will always be an element of risk. You can't know what the individual owners are like for every apartment. I have heard that the apartments in Japan are commonly on the ground floor on busy streets (cheap for the owners to buy, but noisy for the renters), or the owners don't show up at the agreed time to hand over the keys. And if something goes wrong, it can be a lot of hassle to get your money back from AirBnB.

If you're staying for 9 days, I would find a hotel that gives you a discount for long-term stays (usually involves them only cleaning your room once or twice during your stay, instead of every day). This is what I did; I stayed at the Ueno Touganeya hotel which was 2 mins walking distance from Ueno station. For the cheapest prices, find a hotel you like on booking.com and then use the hotel's own website to make the booking - they will have better rates than the booking sites.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: airbnb any expriance? 2015/5/29 10:20
I've used airbnb a few times now around the world including in Tokyo and yet to have had any issues. The only thing i can say is to ask plenty of questions about the place your interested in and confirm the location as a few of the places I've viewed have changed the location pin on the map for a more favourable position.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: airbnb any expriance? 2015/5/29 14:31
I used AirBnB, not in Tokyo, but in Kyoto and Osaka. I really had no problems with either but the Osaka set up was more to my liking. It really depends on your preference. The apartment was exclusively for vacation rentals and thus was thoroughly cleaned upon turnover. The apartment in Kyoto was in a relatively upscale condo (or what they call "mansion") but it was the actual residence of the owner who would vacate each time she has a client. Let's just say her cleaning standard and mine were very different.
by lalainec2003 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread