Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tateyama Alpine in October 2015/5/30 16:03
Hi,
I plan on visiting Japan from mid to late October in two weeks. I intend to visit the Tateyama Alpine Route but I am not sure which would be best considering weather and vegetation. I know it might snow in Murodo in October, so I will be prepared with clothing, but they say you can possibly see alpine plants as well as fall foliage in September-November in Tateyama. I hope to see both of this if possible.

I also intend to do some minor hiking around Bijodaira, Murodo and so on, at least what is possible during one day visit. Also aiming not to visit during peak days (like weekends).

I am aware of the possibility of typhoons so I want to be more flexible this time since last time I had planned it to one single day without flexibility and a typhoon ruined it.

Thank you in advance.
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: Tateyama Alpine in October 2015/6/1 09:46
Fall foliage should not be a problem but alpine flowers are best seen in spring and early summer. The area around Murodo is great for a short hike. From Murodo Station ( 2350m ) follow the path towards Mikurigaike Onsen ( Japan's highest altitude onsen at 2410m ) and next to it is Hell Valley or Jigokudani with smoking volcanic vents. Mikurigaike is a beautiful pond next to the onsen. Walk further and you will reach Raichoso mountain lodge and the campsite adjacent to it. It is named after the raicho or thunderbirds found in the Tateyama Mountains. You might spot one if you are lucky. They are actually alpine ptarmigans, a rare and protected species. You will be surrounded by 3000m peaks of the Tateyama Range as you walk between Mikurigaike and Raichoso. Be warned that the Kurobe -Alpine Route can be packed even on non-peak days.
by Supernova (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread