Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting in clubs with license? Passport? 2015/6/1 15:12
I'm going to Tokyo and want to experience the nightlife. I've read that bars/izakaya usually never ID check, but clubs do. What are my chances at being checked? If I am, would showing a US drivers license be okay to verify age or would I need my passport too? Any club suggestions that are more lax on the IDs?
by sahk81 (guest)  

Re: Getting in clubs with license? Passport? 2015/6/1 15:30
You are required by law to carry your passport with you at all times.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Getting in clubs with license? Passport? 2015/6/1 16:47
What are my chances at being checked?

Virtually zero at bars, restaurants, convenience stores, and the like.

With clubs it varies. Places like live houses and gaijin clubs may or may not card, but the better clubs do consistently id. Both Womb and AgeHa's websites state that people over 20 need to show photo id with your birthdate to enter, but are unclear if they'll accept foreign driver's licenses (although a quick websearch implies they might). They definitely will accept passports, so that'll be the safest option. Note that they explicitly exclude photocopies though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Getting in clubs with license? Passport? 2015/6/1 23:49
I would think long and hard about visiting such places in Tokyo. You could end up with a bill of US$100 or more.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Getting in clubs with license? Passport? 2015/6/2 02:11
Like Firas said, you need to keep your passport with you at all times in Japan. So if police or in this case a bar employee ask, you can just whip out your passport.

Hope this helps!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Getting in clubs with license? Passport? 2015/6/2 10:40
I would think long and hard about visiting such places in Tokyo. You could end up with a bill of US$100 or more.

What bars and clubs are you going to ;) ?

It's hard to run up a bill that high at most places, except for at the snack bars, hostess clubs or similar, shadier establishments. Regular bars, izakaya, and (dance) clubs will be fine.

Then again, $100 for a night out in Tokyo doesn't sound that extraordinary...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Getting in clubs with license? Passport? 2015/6/2 18:07
Most places do not card at all with the notable exception of clubs such as Womb and AgeHa. They don't say if they accept foreign ID, but an internet search suggest that they might as long as it has your photo and date of birth on it. They explicitly do not accept photocopies.

reply to this thread