Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What type of subway card to get 2015/7/7 06:12
Hi All,

So I have already decided to get a 2-week JR pass for my wife and me as we travel Japan for 3 weeks. Here are the list of cities we will be visiting:

Tokyo
Takamatsu
Tokushima
Osaka
Kyoto
Hakone

My question is if there is some kind of pass for non-JR railways where I can just continue to add money for convenience. And which is would best suit me. I would be doing quite the amount of travel within Tokyo, Osasak, and Kyoto especially.

Thank you.
by dpdao  

Re: What type of subway card to get 2015/7/7 14:17
If you're starting your trip in Tokyo, just get a Suica or Passmo card. You'll be able to use it on the trains and most buses in Kyoto and Osaka. www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

For Hakone its probably best to buy a Hakone free pass. Your IC card won't work, and none of the transport there from Odawara onwards is JR.
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/

It's been over ten years since I last went to Tokushima and Takamatsu, but I remember the buses and trains all being JR so I think you'll be okay there.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What type of subway card to get 2015/7/7 14:17
Prepaid IC cards can be use for most non-JR trains:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Get either a Suica or a Icoca, whichever is sold where you arrive at.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What type of subway card to get 2015/7/7 21:48
Thank you very much guys. I appreciate the info.
by dpdao rate this post as useful

Re: What type of subway card to get 2015/7/8 01:02
In Kyoto, use a 1-day bus pass. It is only Y500. Each bus ride would deduct more than Y200 from a SUICA or PASMO card.
Likewise a 1-day subway card is only Y600.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread