Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 06:57
I read several reviews on hotels in Kabukicho that people were annoyed and jerking while returning from " bouncer " and annoyed by shady characters .
it's dangerous? my wife and I do not have prejudices against the red-light districts ( we were also the ones to amsterdam and paris ) but we would not find ourselves in uncomfortable situations
thanks
by Obiwan1978  

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 09:45
I've stayed in toyoko inn's Kabukicho hotel many times and have never really had an issue, a few times i've been shouted to by a tout but have taken no notice and walked on. It's certainly not dangerous.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 09:56
Not dangerous at all. The Japanese touts won't bother you because you are not their clientele, if it's anyone it will be non-Japanese touts. If one comes up to you just say "No thank you" and walk away.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 10:19
Adding to the posters above me, I stayed in Kabukicho a few years back and plan to this November as well. I'm not worried and my husband isn't either. We traveled with friends the first time (single guys) and some of them were approached rather assertively, but nothing aggressive. They just told them they weren't interested. Some pretty amusing encounters, actually ^_^;;
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 11:19
Kabuki-cho is a still and former red light district in Tokyo and the biggest nightspot in Asia region.
Whether dangerous area or not, I think it's dangerous. I'm a native Japanese but I don't go to Kabuki-cho at night if I don't need to do.
A short time visitors probably don't feel danger in Kabuku-cho, but I visited Kabuki-cho probably more than 100 times, I don't think it's a safe place to visit at night. I don't take my children there at night even though they are with me.
Kabuki-cho is a moderate and even quite at day time. The area is asleep at day time. A red light district wakes up at evening and activate at night, so I don't visit there if I don't need to do.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 11:47

I stayed at Toyoko inn Kabukicho once several years ago ; did not find the area dangerous. However, I would never go back there, and never would I recommend . There are better choices of hotels in Shinjuku, why Kabukicho ?
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 11:55

There are better choices of hotels in Shinjuku, why Kabukicho ?

Stand corrected, thought you were staying in Kabukicho.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 12:16
This before, it passed through the streets of hotels Gracie from Don Quixote in the daytime.
If the street, it would be all right at night.
However, as of the left side from Shinjuku, not very atmosphere from before.
Men and couples, tourists have no problem to stay, I would not stay.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 14:53
Last week we encountered touts and people wanting to offer various services, but we mostly ignored them - they were after easier customers. It is probably pretty safe, especially compared to some other countries.

For example, one morning we saw a business woman asleep against a statue - bag by her side. Other than being a bit damp, cool and uncomfortable (and noisy) she was fine - I can't think of any other country where someone would do that.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 19:52
I stayed in the area last month in Hotel Siena as a visitor from Hong Kong, I was asked from some Chinese touts 4 times, not really dangerous, Japanese touts will only go after Japanese people, whiles the non Japanese touts will target visitors, but either way, they are not aggressive.

If you are with your wife, you will get less chance of them bothering you, it's mainly single person.

If they approach you just say no thank you.

Best thing is to stay away from bars and clubs if you are along, they are known to drug people if you are usually alone.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 22:51
Kabukicho touts are generally more annoying than dangerous, but why stay in a neighborhood full of shady, annoying touts when pretty much every single other location in Tokyo is nicer?

As JapanCustomTours says, it's safer than other countries, but on the other hand it's more dangerous than other parts of Tokyo, at least according to police statistics. While chances are that nothing will happen to you, I personally know several people who have gotten into physical altercations and other uncomfortable situations in Kabukicho over the years; one of them was hospitalized.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/9 23:21
I did not want to go to Kabukicho for some reason in particular ...
only that several posts or articles on the internet I saw that was recommended the Shinjuku area to stay in the more lively in the evening (where, unlike other parties with respect to how it was written) there is more movement and even more convenient to take to get excursions to Kamakura, Nikko and Mount Fuji.
Going to choose many hotels are in the area of Kabukicho and then was born the problem.
if you stay at the west side of the station it is quieter but we "movement evening" near right?
by Obiwan1978 rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/10 00:15
Kabukicho is not that dangerous these days.
In the past decade, it is more like a bar district than red light district.
Citadines Hotel (former Best Western) is a good one.
http://www.citadines.com/en/japan/tokyo/citadines_central_shinjuku_tok...
by tokyorubber rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/10 01:17
Kabukicho is pretty harmless in the day. There's actually a mega huge Godzilla figure atop this building called TOHO. I think its a cinema or something.
At night, Kabukicho kinda springs to life. You will start seeing alot of black pimps whom can seem quite intimidating at the start. They will definitely approach you if you're walking alone, but you can just turn them down politely. They don't seem to mean any harm but it still pays to be cautious while walking around.
From what I read in reviews, should you accept whatever they offered you, be prepared to be fleeced badly. So whatever the case is just look around, fulfil your visual appetite and f out from there. You can visit the Robot cafe there if you want. I heard its expensive and the food sucks.
by jjraydesu rate this post as useful

Re: kabukicho is dangerous? 2015/7/10 10:25
if you stay at the west side of the station it is quieter but we "movement evening" near right?

Not quite sure what movement evening means, but there are plenty of accommodations around Shinjuku that are quieter yet still within easy access to the station, as well as the livelier entertainment districts such as Kabukicho. What's your budget?

Just to clarify:

At night, Kabukicho kinda springs to life. You will start seeing alot of black pimps whom can seem quite intimidating at the start.

They are touts for bars, rather than pimps. Just ignore them and they'll leave you alone. You're not really their target customer anyway.

From what I read in reviews, should you accept whatever they offered you, be prepared to be fleeced badly.

They typically tout girls bars, which are a relatively expensive type of drinking establishment.

You can visit the Robot cafe there if you want. I heard its expensive and the food sucks.

The robot restaurant is a type of cabaret show, and I think the price is reasonable considering that. The bento meal is optional, but you don't usually go to a cabaret show for the food so I'd opt out and eat somewhere else before/after. Check it out on youtube, that'll show you everything you need to know to decide whether its something of interest to you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread