Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Winter 2015 Itinerary - 8D7N 2015/7/9 12:17
Hi, i have drafted an itinerary based on a 8D7N time frame

23-Dec: ETA Shin Chitose Airport 1300.
- Check in sapporo hotel [TBC]
- Places to cover: Odori Park, Moiwa ropeway for BBQ dinner with night view & susukino night life

24-Dec: Depart for Tomamu via JR
- Check in Tomamu hotel [most likely Hoshino Tomamu Ski Resort]
- Ski, onsen, etc

25-26 Dec: Depart for Furano via JR
- Check in Furano hotel [probably a hotel near JR station]
- 1-day - Furano; Biei (Blue Pond)
- 1-day - Asahikawa (City and zoo)

27-28 Dec: Depart for Sapporo via JR
- Check in Sapporo hotel [TBC]
- 1-day - Otaru
- 1-day - Sapporo city sights

29-Dec: Depart for Lake Toya via JR / Hotel shuttle
- Check in Lake Toya hotel (most likely Lake Toya Nonokaze]
- Explore Lake Toya

30-Dec:
- Lake Toya
- Depart for Shin-Chitose Airport via JR
- ETD 2000

Comments please, in terms of:
1) Efficiency in transport (ie. minimize making round trips). Rail pass needed?
2) Places to visit esp it's winter and attractions in other seasons may not be relevant anymore
3) Suggestions for local attractions, food, places to stay, etc.
by SimonGoh  

Re: Hokkaido Winter 2015 Itinerary - 8D7N 2015/7/9 18:52
You might want to spend more time in the Tomamu ski resort. It takes a bit of time to get there from Sapporo. Unless that is the reason you are going to Furano. Besides skiing there is nothing else to do there in winter.... Unless looking at barns and farm houses are your thing.

Why don't you choose an Asahikawa hotel? Note there is only one train going up and down so it makes little difference where along the line you stay. But Asahikawa has direct trains to Sapporo and other places. Also, the city living makes life easier. Plus there are business hotels right outside the station like Washington.

I see, you are from Singapore. Singapore zoo is great. Any reason why you would go to Asahikawa's zoo? Japan aren't known for their zoos. Their aquariums are nice though.

Lake Toya is a good place to be. The recommended hotel is the one where the G8 had their summit meeting. What was it called... just find the most expensive one and you would get it. Has pretty chandeliers. Cycle or go around the lake. It gets cold at night so dip in the hot spring before you do so.

Kanko hotel is also a good option due to the proximity to the convenience store. Considering the cold winter, any place that is less than 1 minute to a convenience store is god sent.

I would recommend more days staying at a hotel with an onsen. It really helps you with sleep and gives you the ability to fight the winter cold. Doing one in the morning gives you the appetite to eat your breakfast buffet worth and energizes you for the day ahead.

I recommend Noboribetsu onsen as it is near the locations you are going to. Mahoroba and Daiichi Takimotokan (has shuttle to Sapporo) are reasonable options. A cheaper option would be Takimotokan Annex.

Otaru is a great place that should be visited with a hungry stomach. It does not require a full day unless you want to eat as many meals as possible there.

Sapporo is a city but if you've been to places like Tokyo, Sapporo is only worth half a day just looking at their unique take on modern architecture. The attractions like the chocolate factory are out of the city center. So maybe a full day is justifiable.

Lastly, I would prefer to do Otaru and Sapporo on the last night. Makes more sense as they are nearer the airport. Note that the trains in Hokkaido are NOT shinkansen so journeys are not only long and dreary but the climate control may be not up to standard. Mostly local trains except for Hakodate to Sapporo and Sapporo to Asahikawa. Bring a book. Pack light.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Winter 2015 Itinerary - 8D7N 2015/7/10 15:53
First of all, thanks Joshua for your reply. Your suggestions are of great help.

Unless that is the reason you are going to Furano. Besides skiing there is nothing else to do there in winter.... Unless looking at barns and farm houses are your thing.

We are intending to visit Biei, i believe the blue pond will be very different in this season. This is also the reason for choosing Furano as a base. I was fiddling with Asahikawa vs Furano. Maybe like what you have suggested, Asahikawa is a cheaper option.

I see, you are from Singapore. Singapore zoo is great. Any reason why you would go to Asahikawa's zoo?

Singapore zoo is good itself, but the display of winter animals are very lacking. Going to the Asahikawa zoo will give us a chance to see the polar bears and penguins up close and personal, instead of the usual giraffe and elephants.

The recommended hotel is the one where the G8 had their summit meeting. What was it called...

The hotel is Lake Toya Nonokaze. Unfortunately all fine things come with hefty price tags. And placing Lake Toya as the final destination of our Hokkaido trip allows us to fully enjoy the facilities and explore Lake Toya at large. We did consider Noboribetsu but a friend who stayed at Nonokaze emphasized this hotel is to die for. That explains our preference of Lake Toya.

As the itinerary is preliminary, we will certainly take your recommendations into consideration!

Thanks once again

by SimonGoh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread