Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt Fuji 2015/7/10 17:42
Hello! I am going to climb Mt Fuji on August 12th (to see the sunrise 13th morning)! I have already booked a hut on the Fujinomiya trail. Just a few questions:

1. I am coming from Osaka. Would I be able to leave 12th morning to reach and climb Mt Fuji? Or what is the best way and best time to get there and arrive there by? Any recommendations?

2. Can I climb up the Fujinomiya trail and climb down the Yoshida trail (I am going to Tokyo after)

3. Best place at the summit to see the sunrise - coming from the Fujinomiya trail - should I walk around to the Yoshida trail side? Or will that be super crowded?

4. I will be climbing alone and I am a beginner climber. I know that this is the second most populated walk and that I am climbing during Obon week. Will there be lost of other climbers there too? Is it safe?

5. Best way to deal with luggage? I've read about takkyubin as an option. Any opinions? And how does this work - would I have to ship it from my hostel? Is it expensive?

Thank you in advance! (And sorry if I've repeated questions)

by Rach (guest)  

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji 2015/7/11 19:07
Hello,

Did you solve your worries about mt.fuji?
I am going to climb to the mountain on 1st August.

So i am happy to know you have interest about mt.fuji.

I am only sure that if you can arrive in Sinfuji station,
It much easier to get a 5th station.
We have a public bus from Sinfuji station to 5th station from 0830,0920,1020,1120...it will takes for 2hours to get there.

And did you know the website

http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/index.html

I hope the site will help you.
Enjoy

Sonoe
by sonoe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji 2015/7/12 04:07
Rach,
I agree with the late poster, nice you have found interest in mt Fuji.

From what I heard the Obon week will be crowded, some say it will be like walking in a long queue the final stages up to the summit. But of course that would be an extraordinary experience of course. I would not avoid it just because of that.

About Takkyubin
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Where are you headed after Fuji? You could pack the most necisary things in a backpack and send the other using takkyubin to your next destination. It is even possible to set a delivery date and time if needed.

Most tours I have seen start ascent by 13 as it would be the most decent climbing rate to the mountain hut. To see the sunset later people start climb again around 22-23.

Remember to pack a warm shirt in case of cold winds on summit in wait for the sunset, and climb in a relaxed pace! And oh... happy climbing mate!
by Helloman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji 2015/7/12 10:05
1, Shinkansen Hikari 504 departs Shin-Osaka sta at 6:08, arrives Nagoya sta at 7:17, switch to Kodama 632 leaves for Shin-Fuji sta at 7:29, arrives Shin-Fuji sta at 9:09 if you have a JR pass it works.
A fujikyu local bus service leaves at 9:20 for Fujinomiya 5th sta, arrives Fujinomiya 5th sta at 11:35(bus fare 2,380 Yen for single).
Take a break for 60-80 mins there before you start your climbing, the otherwise you will be sick. I think this will be a bit late start from my experience.

2, You can descend via Yoshida trail on the summit. You must walk clockwise for Yoshida trail descending route on the summit. You can't descend any trails via ascending routes.

3, The best place to see sunrise is from your hut. It's a 100% guaranteed. The chance to see sunrise is between 40 - 60%.

4, I don't recommend to climb Mt Fuji if you are beginner. Try and have some experience in your local hills before you go. It will help you a lot. All things can be happened in Mt Fuji, cold, wet, thunders, fallen rocks, eventhough there are many other climbers.

5, If you descend via different trail, I think takkyubin is only the option. You need to bring proper climbing equipment with you.

by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji 2015/7/12 16:17
Thank you all for your help! I am very excited to climb Mt Fuji! :D

@Helloman - Do you mean 1:30am to see the sunrise? Or start climbing the Fujinomiya Trail by 1:30pm? And what is 22-23? (Sorry)
PS Thanks! Really looking forward to climbing! Will be heading to Tokyo after! :D Have you done the Fujinomiya trail before?

@tokyo friend 48 - I heard you can't see the sunrise from the Fujinomiya trail at all until you reach the summit?Thanks for the advice. I do some hikes at home, but they are nothing compared to Mt Fuji! Will definitely be taking it slow. Have you done the Fujinomiya trail before?
How long do you think it would take a beginner to climb?

Thanks again everyone!
by Rach (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji 2015/7/12 21:36
I think you can be seen sunrise partly while weather condition is good between upper 7th sta hut called "Goraiko-so" and 9.5 th sta hut called "Munatsuki-sanso".
You can not be seen sunrise between 9.5 sta and 10th sta(summit) due to hidden location by rocks.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Mt Fuji 2015/7/13 11:58
1. I am coming from Osaka. Would I be able to leave 12th morning to reach and climb Mt Fuji? Or what is the best way and best time to get there and arrive there by? Any recommendations?

Depends on how you plan to do the hike (daytrip, overnight), and whether you plan to stay at a hut.

2. Can I climb up the Fujinomiya trail and climb down the Yoshida trail (I am going to Tokyo after)

Yes, no problem.

3. Best place at the summit to see the sunrise - coming from the Fujinomiya trail - should I walk around to the Yoshida trail side? Or will that be super crowded?

There is a torii gate on the north side of the crater near the Yoshida Trail that is a very nice place to watch the sunrise from.

4. I will be climbing alone and I am a beginner climber. I know that this is the second most populated walk and that I am climbing during Obon week. Will there be lost of other climbers there too? Is it safe?

No problem, any reasonably fit person should be able to climb the mountain. There will be so many people that you may need to budget extra time into your plans.

5. Best way to deal with luggage? I've read about takkyubin as an option. Any opinions? And how does this work - would I have to ship it from my hostel? Is it expensive?

I'd send it ahead by takkyubin from your hostel to your next destination. Should be about 1600 yen iirc. Let your next hotel know to expect it.

3, The best place to see sunrise is from your hut. It's a 100% guaranteed. The chance to see sunrise is between 40 - 60%.

Unless your hut is on the south side of the mountain in which case you'll 100% not be able to see the sunrise from your hut.

4, I don't recommend to climb Mt Fuji if you are beginner. Try and have some experience in your local hills before you go. It will help you a lot. All things can be happened in Mt Fuji, cold, wet, thunders, fallen rocks, eventhough there are many other climbers.

I agree, pure beginners shouldn't try to climb mountains on their first try without doing some basic training first. But you'll be fine if you have some basic hiking experience.

@Helloman - Do you mean 1:30am to see the sunrise? Or start climbing the Fujinomiya Trail by 1:30pm? And what is 22-23? (Sorry)

Helloman is referring to tours that stay overnight at a hut. They start climbing around 13:00 (1:00 PM), reach their hut around 4ish for an early dinner and a few hours sleep. Then start climbing again around 22:00-23:00 (10-11PM) so they can summit before sunrise.

@tokyo friend 48 - I heard you can't see the sunrise from the Fujinomiya trail at all until you reach the summit?

The full sunrise will be obscured by the mountain if you are climbing from the south. Best to see it in all it's glory from the summit.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread