Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/10 19:04
Has anyone flown out of Tokyo with United, ANA, or Delta?

I'm thinking of flying out of Narita to New York for my vacation in December since the flights are so cheap right now.

The United flight is operated by ANA. It's Economy (L) in a Boeing 777-300ER.

The ANA flight is Economy (L) in a Boeing 777-300ER.

The Delta flight is Economy (L) in a Boeing 747-400.

They are the same price, so I'm wondering what the better flight is. I've only flown with Japan Airlines.
by ??? (guest)  

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/10 19:29
Definitely the ANA flight, which you can expect to be better, or at least the same as your experience on JAL. Personally I book through United for the miles and because it is sometimes cheaper, but its a codeshare so you still get ANA service.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/10 20:26
ANA all the way.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/11 01:20
ANA for sure
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/11 03:12
ANA! I am a mileage member with ANA and will only fly them to Japan.

Have flown them from San Francisco to Tokyo for the last decade and won't fly with anyone else. Even in economy class the service is exceptional (although not the roomiest seats).

Although ANA has codeshare flights with United, I will go out of my way to avoid the United flights.

So, ANA it is :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/11 08:39
Although ANA has codeshare flights with United, I will go out of my way to avoid the United flights.

However, purchasing ANA codeshare flights via United can be a smart way to save money on the same flight. I usually fly NRT-SJX and booking an ANA flight via United saves around $50-100.

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/11 10:40
I usually use my ANA miles awards for my tickets, so I was not aware of the $50-$100 savings.

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/11 11:22
I'm not sure it's the same on the NRT-SFO route, as I usually fly into San Jose so I can take the dreamliner (plus the traffic is better). Worth looking into though!

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/11 13:43
yllwsmrf,

LOVE the Dreamliner!!! I flew from SFO- Seattle-Tokyo just to experience it (before it was flying out of San Jose).

Amazing plane. The most comfortable Economy Class flight I have ever taken!

Unfortunately, ANA told me that they will never fly the Dreamliner out of SFO as it does not have a First Class section. According to ANA, First Class is most popular with fliers flying out of SFO. I can only imagine what First Class must be like on ANA.

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/12 07:39
Take ANA, no question.

My Japanese wife just flew to Japan, and we originally got a cheapo ticket on UA. We got to the airport about 90 minutes before the flight, but the "self check-in" wasn't getting it right, so we had to wait and have one of ticket counter people step in. After some attempts she couldn't get in either, so she called someone on the phone, and was told that it was now 60 minutes before the departure, so they closed the flight.

She said she couldn't do anything but book her on the next day's flight. No way - we had plans, and it took a lot of time, money and effort to get to that counter. So she sent us to the "Special Services" desk, who put her on a Delta flight - and my wife had to wait over 6 hours at the airport. Miserable. The UA flight at least was a 787 - the DL flight was an old 767.
Delta looked the same way - a lot of people assigned to "Special Services" - which means they are all there to fix all the screw ups they and other airlines make.

ANA never has anything like that - you get careful, quick attention, and they don't just try to bounce you around.

Is it any wonder that ANA comes out near the top of airline survey rankings year after year, while US carriers are far, far down the list
with the 3rd world airlines?
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: United, ANA, or Delta 2015/7/12 07:56
Which is why they ask passengers on international flights to check in 2 to 3 hours before departure time ;-) 90 min is cutting it short.
I haven't yet had the pleasure to fly ANA to Japan, I'm sure it is a step up from the other airlines. But our last two trips non-stop Denver - Tokyo with United on the Dreamliner were quite pleasant as well. The type of aircraft you fly on can also be a decisive factor whether to fly with one airline or the other.
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

reply to this thread