Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/7/30 11:09
Hi All,

My wife and i will be spending 11D10N in Chubu region. Arriving Tokyo on 28 Dec and departing on 7 Jan.

Below are our route and we wonder whether we should get JR Pass or not. If yes, which JR Pass I shall obtain? I can't seems to find any good place for info on this.

Tokyo-Kanazawa-Takayama-Matsumoto-Tokyo.

Hope someone can share some tips and tricks on JR Pass.

Thanks!
by CanonA95  

Re: 11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/7/30 14:02
Tokyo-Kanazawa-Takayama-Matsumoto-Tokyo.

Many people travel Kanazawa-(Shirakawa -go)-Takayama-(Hirayu Onsen)-Matsumoto by bus. If you do this route by JR train, and the itinerary is within 7 days, JR Pass 7 days will pay off. If you travel by bus, then JR Pass will not pay off.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/8/2 13:11
Thanks!! Got it.. :-) Thanks for the tips Frog1954..
by CanonA95 rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/8/2 14:45
If you take buses Kanazawa-Shirakawago-Takayama-Hirayu-Matsumoto, Mitsuboshi Route Kippu (Three-Star Route Ticket) might be a good deal. This ticket (valid for four continuous days) is about 3000 yen cheaper than the sum of individual tickets (Kanazawa to Shirakawago, Shirakawago to Takayama, Takayama to Hirayu and Hirayu to Matsumoto).

Re: 11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/8/2 14:46
Sorry I forgot to paste the link:

https://www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/pdf/mitsuboshiroute2014[1].pdf

Re: 11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/8/2 14:52
Please be aware that you will arrive in Japan just before the end of year crush of people trying to get home. If you get a JR Pass, seat reservations are a free perk thrown in, and you should definitely reserve your seats (go to any JR office) to make sure you have a space on the train.
Many places will also be closed New Year's and maybe just after, so double check your itinerary before you set off.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/8/2 16:09
you will arrive in Japan just before the end of year crush of people trying to get home.

This year the end of year crush should be its peak on 29th Dec. Many companies/offices will be closed from 29th Dec to 3rd Jan, so people will go to their "home town" (usually where their parents are living). That said, many people will go from Tokyo to the country side (like Kanazawa) on 29th Dec and go back to Tokyo on 3rd Jan. Of course some people will go oppositely and some do not travel at all, but the trend is as described above. So, I think 31st Dec and 1st Jan wouldn't be so crowded. Many people will stay home in these two days.

In general, the hotel rate will be high between 31st Dec to 3rd Jan, and it is most expensive in Tokyo, so if budget is one of your concern, stay away Tokyo in these days. I checked Kanazawa and Takayama for these days and the hotel rates are rather reasonable (while Tokyo is expensive, of course).

Kanazawa's main attraction are Kenrokuen garden and Kanazawa castle park, which are oped throughout the year, although many museums are closed on 31st to 1st. New year's main attraction for Japanese people is "Hatsumoude" meaning going to the shrine. You can enjoy it everywhere in Japan (of course including Kanazawa).

Re: 11D10N to Chubu region: JR Pass or not? 2015/8/6 01:00
Dear Ken & Frog1954, Thank you!!

I actually plan to take an overnight bus from Tokyo to Kanazawa on 28 Dec, spend 29-30 Dec nights in Kanazawa and 31 Dec to Takayama via Shirakawa-go and 31Dec-3Jan nights in Takayama and head to Tokyo via Matsumoto on 4 Jan, spend 3 nights in Tokyo and leave Tokyo on 7 Jan.

I wonder where and how i can secure overnight bus in Tokyo. I checked willer express and highwaybus but currently unavailable for booking or reserve and all in Japanese thus i am not sure with it.

Thanks!
by CanonA95 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread