Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/4 17:11
We (a group of three fit American girls) are spending a few days in the Kansai region for Silver Week, and trying to figure out what to do with the one night we haven't planned yet. We'd like to either do a temple stay or a ryokan, but since we're already staying in some shabbier ryokan elsewhere, I'd rather do a temple stay where you can do zazen or ascetic practices, or get a fancy ryokan experience. We're very open to suggestions, but we need to book soon.

We'll need to get to our lodgings around 5pm to be in time for dinner. We'll be leaving in the morning from Kameyama in Mie (near Iga-Ueno) and riding public transportation to wherever we're going next. Is that enough time to get to the temples on Koyasan?

We'd like to fit a decent amount of hiking in the following day and get to Osaka (Shinsaibashi) no later than 7pm. What course should we follow? Is this doable?

Would it be a better use of time to go to Yoshino instead?
by Buri0110  

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/4 21:51
For hiking... have you considered Mt Takao north of Osaka?

As for whether to go to Yoshiko or Koya, I would only recommend Yoshiko during Cherry Blossom season. All others are KoyaSan. A good ryokan is a special experience that I highly recommend. But can by somewhat expensive what non-working adults. If you can afford it then i would recommend that over the KoyaSan. (When I mean good Ryokan, I really mean those good ones that costs upwards of 300USd a person night to a few thousands)
by Joshua Hugh Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/5 04:32
FYI.. Mt.Takao is outside of Tokyo not Osaka!
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/5 05:21
I believe there is a Mt Takao in northern Kyoto as well. Not only inv Tokyo. They hv the sane names but in different locations.
by cherry pompom rate this post as useful

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/5 07:50
I believe there is a Mt Takao in northern Kyoto as well. Not only inv Tokyo. They hv the sane names but in different locations.

No and no. There is a district north of central Kyoto that is called Takao, not Mount Takao. It is not a mountain. It is written with different characters than Mount Takao outside of Tokyo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/5 09:13
Thanks for the responses so far, though I have to admit part of the reason for going to either Wakayama or Nara is to add another prefecture to our list. Has anyone had any experience with how long it takes to get to and from Koyasan, and how much time we should budget for a decent hike?
by Buri0110 rate this post as useful

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/5 10:52
It will take you approximately 3.8 hours to reach Koyasan from Iga-Ueno by train.

Not sure about hiking trails in Koyasan per se. However, based on my personal experience, an overnight stay in Koyasan is quite a rewarding experience. Just food for thought :)

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/5 21:55
There's a hike from uji to ise. Both traditional and historically important small towns. Would that interest you?
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time for hike at Koyasan? Yoshino better? 2015/8/6 02:08
Joshua,

Please do your research before posting such suggestions. Uji and Ise are not even in the same prefecture.

Uji is in Kyoto prefecture and Ise is in Mie prefecture, making a hike highly unlikely. Perhaps you are confused with the fact that Ise Shrine was formerly called Ujiyamada.

reply to this thread