Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/5 11:08
Hello,

I've be traveling in Sep 15 to Kyoto & Osaka For an 8-day trip, so i'm thinking about doing an outward trip to Kinosaki for a 2 nights stay. So rough plan is Kyoto (2 days), Kinosaki (2 days), Osaka (3 days) then home.

Appreciate it very much if someone could help answer my questions as i am now planning the itinerary :P

1. I'm really on a budget although i love to explore more. Planning to buy Haruka Express + ICOCCA tickets, so which is best to travel to Kinosaki? Do i need to buy West Kansai pass or just use ICOCCA for the 2 nights trip?

2. Initially i wanted to travel to Takayama but the journey takes about 4.5 hours from Kyoto all in all & train is $$$, so is this journey worth it or should i just stay in Kyoto & go to Kurama? By the way, i'm really not a temple person, but i'd love to see more of culture, people & places.

Thank you so much!

Leafie
by leafie  

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/5 13:01
Hi Leafie. On our last trip (Aril this year) we went from Kyoto to Kinosaki for 2 nights. A couple of things :
1. we really liked Kinosaki and the train trip there is nice, though it isn't anywhere near as spectacular as the trip from Nagoya to Takayama on the Wideview Hida, which would be my favourite trip ever;
2. Kinosaki is a small town. If you are not massively into the public baths, then there isn't much to do. Try to plan a side trip to Aomori which I really should have done.
3. Kinosaki was quite hot in April, when it was pretty cool in other places (Kyoto was warming up at the time). I don't know what it is like in September, but be prepared for some heat. Kyoto can be boiling in September, depending on rain.
4. I really like Takayama, and the trip there, so I think it is worth the effort. But other nice smaller towns accessible from Kyoto/Osaka include Hikone (a lot of fun, and on Lake Biwa), Uji, or our favourite Nara.

Sorry I cant help with the rail pass, we took the Kinosaki Express which only runs once or twice a day.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/5 15:08
One trip to Kinosaki Onsen is already 5040 Yen. I think Kansai Wide Area pass is more suitable as it covers limited express trains and it pays off with return trip between Kyoto and Kinosaki Onsen.

Kinosaki is indeed a very small town with 7 public baths. I've been there for 1 night. I think it's best to reach there in the afternoon e.g. 3pm, check in, and enjoy the baths. After dinner, take a stroll, more bath, and enjoy the comfort of sleeping on futon.

If you still want to spend 2 nights, I suggest to visit Takeda castle ruin, 45 mins train ride from Kinosaki Onsen.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/5 16:56
Hi Lazy Pious & Moccy,

Thank you very much for the insight. I just thought i loved the pictures i saw about Kinosaki & thought the atmosphere is quaint and serene. Initially i had my interest in Takayama for 2 nights but balked at the journey distance (3.5 hr per trip) plus the expensive trains especially!

I've just checked lodgings at Kinosaki & they are mega $$$$. Maybe i was late, but i did managed to find one that costs RM570 (Yen18,300 or USD150) for 2 nights in Sento Otani hotel.

Now that we know the hotel lodging and train costs, may i ask if this trip is worth the expense or should i just stay in Kyoto (Khaosan Kyoto hostel) & visit Kurama & its onsen instead? Honestly, i'm not going to temple burnout myself & i don't seem to like the idea of staying in Kyoto for 4 days. Then again, i've never been there, so i could be wrong.

Ps: Looked & read about Nara, Uji etc.. nothing seems to interest me there. Any ideas?

Thank you for your kind generosity in sharing! :D

Leafie
by leafie rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/5 18:53
Yeah we got templed out years ago but Kyoto still has its charms. It depends on what interests you. I like more rural/green areas but still touristy enough to make it easy to find food etc, which is why I like Nara, Uji, Hikone, Enoshima etc.

Kinosaki is only worth the effort if you want the onsens. I'd be careful of the weather that time of year there and especially Kyoto. I've been to Kyoto in early September and it was like a furnace, but if you are lucky it might be rainy.

Personally I'd be looking at the northern part of Honshu which should be a bit cooler. I havent been much past Tokyo so I cant really help you there. But places like Kamikouchi are pretty cool as well, and there are no temples there. There are onsen towns nearby as well.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/6 09:56
Hi Lazy Pious,

So true that i have to take into account of the weather! Thanks for the tip. I will check last Sep's weather in Kinosaki. :D

Leafie

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/6 11:33
Uji is a producer of green tea. If you are into drinking tea it would be amazing. They have tea in their ice cream and noodles.

Kurama onsen is not someplace I would recommend. It's below kinosaki in terms of fun, enjoyment, and the scenery.

If you go up North to tohoku, many great onsen places will blow you away
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/6 11:51
Hi Joshua,

Thanks, sure many nice places to see & hot springs but Tohoku is way out of my itinerary. Are there any nice public outdoor onsens in Kyoto area which is nearer than Kinosaki?

Leafie

Re: 2 days Kyoto then 2 days Kinosaki 2015/8/6 12:01
How on earth did Tohoku get mentioned! Way off the map!

The hot springs/onsen at Kurama Dera is quite nice. Here is a link from the Japan Guide website: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html

The Kurama Dera/Kibune area is simply amazing ! One of my all time favorite day trips from Kyoto!

Enjoy :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread