Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ohara: Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/8 08:59
 Hi, may I know if anyone has been to Ohara in mid November? I only have time for either Hosen-in or jikko-in. During other times, we would have preferred Hosen-in based on TripAdvisor reviews rating. However after some research, I came to know that jikko-in has this fudan zakura cherry trees blooming in autumn. M visiting ohara in 18th November. At this timing, is the cherry tree worth us giving up hosen-in which will be spectacular in November? We are definitely visiting sanzen in andJakkoin, which of the 2 temples offer a better contrast to sanzenin or Jakkoin? Hope my problem is not to complicated. Thank you.
by ocolocorch  

Re: Ohara- Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/8 11:38
Ohara is my favorite place in the Kyoto area! I have been there several times, including mid to late November, during the Autumn foliage period (Koyo).

You can actually see all of the temples in Ohara in a one day visit. Hosen-in and Jikko-in are located near Sanzen-in (my personal favorite). To get to Jakko-in, you simply walk through the bus station, down some stairs, and follow the signs to Jakko-in. It is an idyllic walk through the Ohara countryside and only takes about 20 minutes at a moderate pace.

As for the cherry trees, I am not certain. But I am sure that someone else can answer that for you.

Hope this helps :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ohara- Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/8 18:10
Hi Ohara, i am doing a lunch and onsen at ohara no sato at 12pm so have not much time if I were to do 3 temples before 12pm before heading over. After onsen and lunch, i will head to Jakkoin. Thereafter i will walk back and enjoy the rural scene before departing at umenomiya bus stop back to kyoto. Is my plan ok?
by ocolocorch rate this post as useful

Re: Ohara- Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/9 02:32
I did not realize that you had the lunch and onsen plans. How much you will be able to see depends on how early you arrive in Ohara, and how long you will spend at Ohara no Sato.

That said, Sanzen-in, Jikko-in, and Hosen-in are located very close to each other and are also much closer to the bus terminal than Jakko-in. Sanzen-in is the largest of these three temples and has a beautiful wooded area behind it that is worthy of a walk. Hosen-in and Jikko-in are much smaller and would not take that much time to see, depending of course on how much time you wish to spend at each temple.

If you arrive in Ohara early (perhaps around 9:00 a.m.) then you will have adequate time to see Sanzen-in, Jikko-in, and Hosen-in, before heading to Ohara not Sato. Sanzen-in, in my personal opinion, is a must-see temple!

Please keep in mind too that it will be a busy time in Ohara due to the season.

Re: Ohara: Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/9 08:12
Hi Ohara, i plan to reach sanzenin around 830! Yeah so i guess i have time to see all 3! Thanks for sharing your experience! Just wondering which one do u prefer? Hosen-in or jikko-in?

Re: Ohara: Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/9 08:46
Definitely Hosen-in!

Here is a link to info about Hosen-in
http://kyoto.asanoxn.com/places/ohara/hosenin.htm

The link also includes info on the other Ohara temples including Shorin-in.

You will love Ohara and I hope that you enjoy your day there!

Re: Ohara: Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/9 13:04
Thanks Ohara! Read that Hosen-in has night light up event, eilk plan a night visit!

Re: Ohara: Hosen-in or jikko-in in mid Nov? 2015/8/9 14:44
Indeed, one of the treats of being in Kyoto in November-December are the autumn evening illuminations that take place at several Kyoto temples.

You wouldn't have to make an evening trip all the way to Ohara just to see illuminations. Unless, of course, you plan to stay into the evening on the day that you are planning to be there.

reply to this thread