Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/8 20:38
Hi All,

I've been reading about this Kintetsu Rail Pass and it has caught my attention. I would like to get a clearer understanding if this is suitable for us.

We'll be arriving in Tokyo from Melbourne later this year for a few days, then we'll take either the train or bus to Nagoya for 3 nights. After that, we'll travel to Osaka and use Osaka as a base for day trips to Kyoto and Nara.

After reading the following link http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_006.html on Points of Sale, I have a couple of questions.
1) The link says while in Japan the Rail Pass can be purchased from BIC camera store in Nagoya. Does that mean the pass can be purchased without having an exchange order?
2) Can the Rail Pass be purchased anywhere else in case the BIC camera store in Nagoya doesn't have any?

Thanks
Felix
by ftung  

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 11:07
The Kintetsu Rail Pass can be purchased in Japan for overseas visitors with the temporary visitor stamp on their passport.
You should buy the regular version that does not include airport access. There appears to be other types for travel around Kyoto/Nara, but I am not familiar with these. As stated in the japan guide, it is only sold at Nagoya's Chubu Airport, Osaka's Kansai Airport. I have not tried buying from the camera stores before, since I always arrive through the airports.
You can also access Kintetsu's English website for further information.
by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 12:07
*Does that mean the pass can be purchased without having an exchange order

aside from JRpass nationwide, all other train passes can be purchase while you are already in Japan.
The only requirement would be the traveler passport to have stamp 'temp. visitor visa' (as above reply)
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 12:21

Does that mean the pass can be purchased without having an exchange order

No exchange order , you'd get a pass like KANSAI THRU PASS .
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 12:24
That page you linked says that it can also be bought at Nagoya station.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 13:31
That page you linked says that it can also be bought at Nagoya station.

Well, I am not a native speaker of English, so I can not understand the Japanguide's description fully. It can be 1. Bic Camera stores in Namba, 2. Kyoto station and 3. Nagoya station. Or it might be 1. Bic Camera store in Namba, 2. Bic Camera store in Kyoto station and 3. Bic Camera store in Nagoya station.

So I used my Japanese skill to read Kintetsu's site.

http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/japanese/useful/ticket/rpw1-1.html#2

ビックカメラの場合「なんば店、JR京都駅店、名古屋駅西店」
営業時間 各店舗共 10:00〜21:00(日本時間)

The description says it is sold at three Bic Camera stores, at Namba, at JR Kyoto station and at Nagoya station West.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 14:44
This is the link to Kintetsu English website regarding their railpasses

http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/ticket/get.html
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 23:10
Thanks for all the responses.

There is just a bit more help I need with the finer details. The Kintetsu pass that I'm after is the Kintetsu Rail Pass(5 day pass), not the Kintetsu 1 day or 2 day pass. I've extracted the sections in question from both of the Kintetsu Japanese and English website.

1). In the English explanation, does the sentence "However, at BIC CAMERA Nagoya Station West Store, KINTETSU RAIL PASS 1day and 2day are not on sale." imply that the Kintetsu Rail Pass Is available at BIC?
2). In the Japanese explanation, "ただし、名古屋駅西店では、KINTETSU RAIL PASS 1day. 2dayの取扱いはございません" it is not clear if the Kintetsu Rail Pass is available.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIC CAMERA Namba Store, JR Kyōto Station Store and Nagoya Station West Store
Business hours: 10:00-21:00 (Japan time) for all stores
* At BIC CAMERA stores, only KINTETSU RAIL PASS and KINTETSU RAIL PASS 1day and 2day are on sale. However, at BIC CAMERA Nagoya Station West Store, KINTETSU RAIL PASS 1day and 2day are not on sale.
* Only foreign nationality passport holders can purchase KINTETSU RAIL PASS at BIC CAMERA stores.

ビックカメラの場合「なんば店、JR京都駅店、名古屋駅西店」
営業時間 各店舗共 10:00〜21:00(日本時間)
※ビックカメラでの取扱いは、KINTETSU RAIL PASSとKINTETSU RAIL PASS 1day, 2dayのみとなります。ただし、名古屋駅西店では、KINTETSU RAIL PASS 1day. 2dayの取扱いはございません。
※ビックカメラ各店舗では、外国籍パスポート所持者のみの販売となります。

by ftung rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/9 23:17
I went to their website. Kintetsu Railways does not sell the pass.
Instead at Nagoya Airport, you can purchase it at the Meitetsu Travel Plaza, at Kansai Airport,you can purchase it from the Kansai Tourist Information Center, and the 3 respective BIC Camera stores listed in Namba , Kyoto Station and Nagoya Station West store. I once travelled from Nagoya Airport to Nagoya and tried to buy the pass from Kintetsu Railways at Nagoya station, the station staff asked me to return to Nagoya Airport to make the purchase.
by CS Tan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/10 01:59
My understanding of Kintetsu Railpass is as follows:-

There are four types of passes
- KINTETSU RAIL PASS 1day \1,500
- KINTETSU RAIL PASS 2day \2,000
- KINTETSU RAIL PASS \3,800
- KINTETSU RAIL PASS wide \5,860

BIC CAMERA Namba Store & JR Kyōto Station Store - \1,500, \2,000, \3,800 passes available

BIC CAMERA Nagoya Station West Store - \3,800 available only

Kansai Tourist Information Center Kansai International Airport - all 4 types available

Sorry if my knowledge is limited as I got my KRP \3,800 from Kansai Airport.
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

Re: Kintetsu Rail Pass 2015/8/10 05:50
aside from JRpass nationwide, all other train passes can be purchase while you are already in Japan.

This is mostly true, but not entirely. For example, on
http://touristpass.jp/en/
the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass and the Ise Kumano Pass must be purchased outside of Japan.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread