Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo 2 Kyoto-stop by in Hakone/Mt.Fuji area? 2015/8/9 02:36
Hello everyone,

I will be in Japan for around 5-6 days and plan to cover Tokyo and Kyoto. I will pretty much follow this guide (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_4.html).

However, I really want to stop by in Hakone and check out the Mt. Fuji area (don't intend to climb) and experience the Onsen as well. I was wondering how should I go about doing this? I understand there's some volcanic activity going on and some parts are restricted but hopefully it will settle down by September.

Itenerary looks something like this:
* Sep 6, 7, 8 in Tokyo
* Sep 9 leave for Kyoto and maybe stop by at Hakone on the 9 to explore Mt. Fuji* (should we stop or not and should we spend the night or not?)
* Sep 9*, 10, 11 in Kyoto
* Back to Tokyo on 11th evening and leave Japan on Sep 12

Also, we will probably be taking the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto and back.

Some questions:
1. Should we spend the night in Hakone or just spend the day and leave towards Kyoto in the evening?

2. Where should we get off while coming from Tokyo? How do we get to Mt. Fuji area? And where can we leave our luggage (2 suitcases) in the mean time?

3. Offbeat question: If we are doing just one round trip from Tokyo to Kyoto on the Shinkansen, is JR pass recommended or should we pay as we go?

I would really appreciate your tips and advise. Thanks you all in advance.
by Rav (guest)  

Re: Tokyo 2 Kyoto-stop by in Hakone/Mt.Fuji area? 2015/8/9 12:16
1. Considering how little time you have, just spend the day there.

2. Take the shinkansen to Odawara, then buy a Hakone Free Pass at the Odakyu office there. That will cover all your transport from Odawara to Hakone and around the area. To get to Kyoto, take the train back to Odawara and continue on the shinkansen there.
There are coin lockers at Odawara station that might fit your luggage: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e382.html
Otherwise consider sending your luggage to your Kyoto hotel from your Tokyo hotel the day before.

3. A 7 day JR pass will cover the cost of the round trip from Tokyo-Kyoto. If you are arriving and leaving from Narita, it will also cover the travel to Tokyo on the NEX.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread