Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/7 18:25
I'm deliberating if I should head to Mount Shosha after Himeji Castle, then Okayama? Or just head straight to Okayama? Trip is late November.

Time wise, I'm planning to reach the castle when it's open and leave perhaps before 11am. If I don't plan on hiking up Mount Shosha and will be taking the ropeway then minibus to Engyoji both ways, is it still worth the trip?

Also, will I still have sufficient time to go to Okayama afterwards? Or which of the two should I drop?

Thanks guys!
by CLLR  

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/7 21:31
It takes a lot of time to go to Engyoji, walk around and see everything and then get back to the station, so I don't think you'd have time to do any sightseeing in Okayama afterwards.

Mount Shosha and Korakuen Garden are two different types of destinations, so which to visit kind of depends on what you want to see/experience. Both should be nice during the time of your visit.

Mount Shosha is a nice, large mountain temple complex.

Korakuen Garden is one of Japan's best gardens not simply because it is designated as one of the official "top three gardens"; it really is among the best. There is more to do in Okayama outside of the garden and Okayama has great food, too.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/7 23:34
Yes. You would have sufficient time. Though, you wan to take the boat that goes around the garden, it might not be possible.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/8 06:33
Seeing Shosha is definitely worth it. It is quite a huge place - but since it sits in the shadow of the castle, it doesn't get a lot of publicity (which can also be a good thing). Don't miss the Kokoen Garden next to Himeji as well.
Ultimately it does depend on your interests of course. Korakuen is truly an amazing place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zAI3_N7NEM
Although you could get a good walk through the garden in less than 45 minutes.
Handayama is also an extremely beautiful garden fairly close by, but you might not have time for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQ8o7k9GbA
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/8 10:41
Thanks guys, those were some very helpful responses.

Mount Shosha seems like a wonderful serene place but I think I might just drop it for another time as the transport part of going up to Engyoji seems more tedious than getting around Okayama - apparently we have to backtrack to the station to take the bus if we were to use the ropeway + bus combination ticket.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/8 16:31
Taking the shuttoe bus to Engyoji would make you miss one of he main highlights on Shoshasan, that is walking their peaceful and lovely paths
by Pablo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/8 16:40
@Pablo Read in another thread that the final ascend to Engyoji is very steep so we are apprehensive. One of us is over 50.

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/8 23:42
Was there in 2008. I took ropeway roundtrip to avoid the highest elevation, but did the rest of the tour by foot. As far as I remember, after entering the temple's grounds (in front of the ropeway station), I had to walk up and it was a bit steep around Niomon Gate but no so much. There was a group of old japanese pilgrims who didn't have any problem, If only it was a bit hot (it was an humid October day after rain). As soon as you reach beautiful Maniden Temple, there are one or two steep routes but they are very short so they should not be any problem (and Maniden is where the suttle bus ends). If you deceide to go but are not convinced at all, I suggest you to take shuttle bus at the arrival, and then return walking to the upper ropeway station.

by Pablo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/9 00:08
The below link has some pictures and basic info. It might be slightly helpful

http://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1403
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/9 12:41
@Pablo @mfedley your replies have been very informative, looks like i have to reconsider shosha again!

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/9 20:17
If you are able to do more trips to Japan (or if you live in Japan), then Mount Shosha could be a better option. That way you could see the best of Himeji and do Okayama some other time as its own trip. There's a ton of places to visit in and around Okayama, so it'd be another great trip. I've been there many times and always find new places to go. Korakuen Garden is also different in every month and season, so it's always an interesting visit no matter how many times I've been there.

Otherwise, I think it comes down to whether you want to see an impressive temple or an impressive garden. For me, my mindset is different when the plan is a mountain temple versus a garden and castle town.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/14 14:55
@Rabbityama I have the Kansai-Hiroshima Pass for 5 days and will be based in Osaka during this time, other than 2 days set aside for Hiroshima and Miyajima (overnight stay).

Another possibility is Okayama on the way back from Hiroshima, which also means half a day, in the afternoon.

The other 2 days will be Kobe, Arima Onsen; and Uji, Nara.

Re: Mount Shosha or not? 2015/9/17 13:05
@Rabbityama I have the Kansai-Hiroshima Pass for 5 days and will be based in Osaka during this time, other than 2 days set aside for Hiroshima and Miyajima (overnight stay).

Another possibility is Okayama on the way back from Hiroshima, which also means half a day, in the afternoon.

The other 2 days will be Kobe, Arima Onsen; and Uji, Nara.

reply to this thread