Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/12 21:39
Will arrive in 2 different airport 29 Feb Narita and Haneda to Shinjuku St area hotel , When in Tokyo will visit Kawazu for the Sakura, Asakusa, and Ginza area. 3 Mar Leave from Shinjuku st to Kyoto Gion area , 06 Mar from Kyoyo Gion st to - Osaka shinsaibashi , 08 Mar From Osaka Shisaibashi to - Shinjuku St , 09 Mar Shinjuku St to - Narita and Haneda Airports.
We are 10 Adult and 2 kids, with 10 luggages.
Please suggest how to maximize the use of JR Pass for above plan.
by AndyKong  

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/13 11:25
If you stick to your current itinerary, a 7-day JR Pass will pay off if you activate it the day you leave Tokyo. You can use it for the trips between Tokyo and Kyoto, Kyoto and Osaka, and Osaka and Tokyo. It can also be used on the JR loop lines in Tokyo and Osaka; unfortauntely there isn't a lot of public transport in Kyoto run by JR (but if you stay near Kyoto station, you could use it to get to Fushimi Inari).

To maximise the Pass, make seat reservations for all shinkansen journeys and take the shinkansen from Kyoto to Osaka.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/17 16:42
Just got back from my Japan trip. I stayed in maibara which is 20 mins away from Kyoto via Jr rail. My hotel is 1 mins way from maibara stn. Take the elevator down to Toyoko inn and 1 min later you are at Toyoko inn. So conevenient. Breakfast and water is free too. Used maibara as pit stop /base to sleep .

Maibara to Kyoto is 20 mins using jr.
Maibara to shonosaka is like 35 mins.
Shin Osaka to Kyoto is 10 mins.

Nara is a nice visit too if you like temples. And deers roaming freely.
by Billy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/17 16:48
Shinjukuis a very very very place. Be ready for crowds like you won't believe unless you are used to that. 2 million people in shinjuku.

I found it difficult to look for my Toyoko inn hotel in shinjuku. I was suppose to reach my hotel in 15 mins but had to ask for help and ended up taking 1 hour in the hot heat and luggage in tow. My error in arriving at6pm when it was dark.

I hope your hotel is less than 5mins away from jr.
by Billy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/17 17:08
Go to Kawazu on Mar 2, and activate your JR pass then. Your pass will cover the shinkansen to Atami, and then the local JR line to Ito. Then you'll have to pay extra for the Izukyu line to Kawazu.
The pass will then last till you get back to Tokyo on the 8th.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/17 21:04

Thank you all.
by AndyKong rate this post as useful

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/17 21:22

Within the city can I use the JR pass as well ?
by AndyKong rate this post as useful

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/18 20:42
Yes on jr rail only.
by Jinna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maximize JR Pass 2015/9/18 21:00
Subway is not JR, so no Tokyo Metro, Keio, Tobu, Tsukuba Express, etc.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread