Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tohoku tourism after flood 2015/9/13 01:53
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip on early November to some bay areas in Tohoku area such as Aomori and Sendai (Matsuhima), as well as hiking area e.g. Urabandai, Aomori area, and Tokyo's surronding area.

I've seen the news about how bad the current flood which brought destruction and landslides. Although the typhoon is predicted to leave Japan shortly, I'm concerned about the recovery and safety of the regions.

Will it be alright to proceed with the plan, or shall I enroute to other areas at central or southern area? I'm not familiar with how Japan usually cope with such natural disaster, so I hope to have some advises here. Thank you.
by Moccy  

Re: Tohoku tourism after flood 2015/9/13 09:52
Yes, by November it should be okay. Check the JR East website for updates on services that may be affected.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tohoku tourism after flood 2015/9/13 11:52
There is no serious damage at the moment that would affect tourism in your destination.

The only major damage up north is the Tobu-Nikko line, but there are other convenient ways to get to Nikko.

The flood has unfortunately affected many homes and residents, but touristical/commercial sites are mostly undamaged.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tohoku tourism after flood 2015/9/13 11:56
The only major damage up north is the Tobu-Nikko line, but there are other convenient ways to get to Nikko.

And even the Tobu Nikko Line should be back in operation within just a few days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tohoku tourism after flood 2015/9/14 13:31
Thank you for the advises!
I will proceed with the itinerary then.

My thoughts are with the residents of the affected areas. I saw the video on how flood literally swept away houses. Kudos to the rescue team. My best hope for the recovery of the affected areas.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread