Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Solo Trip to Japan (Winter), 28 Days 2015/9/14 11:07
Hey guys, appreciate if you can give some comments and inputs. I'm going to Japan for 28 days in Japan. Basically, I covered abit of Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and parts of Hokkaido in my past 2 trips before. I'll like to go for solo this time round.

8Dec - Singapore to Osaka - Dotombori Konamon Museum and Dotobori - Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
9Dec - Matuya Shinsaibashi for japanese breakfast - Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum - The Osaka Museum of Housing and Living - Umeda Sky Building - Kuromon Ichiba Market - Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
10Dec - Namba Yasaka Shrine - Shitennoji Temple - Spa World Osaka - Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum - Minato-machi River Place - Muten Kura Sushi Kitatsumori - Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
11Dec - Side trip from Osaka to Kobe - Nunobiki Waterfall - Nunobiki Herb Garden & Ropeway - Nankinmachi (Chinatown) - Kobe Meriken / Mosaic / Kobe Harbourland - Kobe Maritime Museum and Kawasaki Good Times World - Kobe Port Tower - Kobe Luminarie 2015 - Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
12Dec - Side trip from Osaka to Nara - Nobori-oji Street - Isuien Garden - Yoshiki En - Todai-ji Temple - Nigatsu-do Hall - Kasuga-Taisha Shrice - Kofuku-ji Temple - Naramachi - Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
13 Dec - Side trip from Osaka to Inuyama - Meiji Mura (Heard that this place can slowly spend lots of time (Any other places to venture?) - Back to Osaka Hana Hostel
14 Dec - Check out and move to Hiroshima Hana Hostel - Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum - Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome - Hiroshima Castle - Okonomi Mura - Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel
15 Dec - Side trip from Hiroshima to Miyajima Island - Floating Torii - Itsukushima Shrine - Daisho-in Temple - Mazda Museum - Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel (Anything I missed out here?)
16 Dec - Side trip from Hiroshima to Kurashiki - Toy Museum - Momotaro Museum - Piggy Bank Museum - Ivy Square - Kurabo Museum - Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel
17 Dec - Side trip from Hiroshima to Okunoshima (Rabbit Island) - Okunoshima Poison Gas Museum - Ruins of Former Power Plant - Ruins of Former Batteries (Heard its a small island good to cover the whole island with foot, anything special else to take note of?) - Back to Hiroshima Hana Hostel
18Dec - Check out from Hiroshima to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu - Visit Jigoku (all 8 hells) - Jigokumushi Kobo Steam Cooking Center - Back to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu
19Dec - Side trip from Beppu to Yufuin - Totoro Shop - Lake Kinrinko - Sansuikan - Anything else to check out here or do? - Back to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu
20Dec - Side trip from Beppu to Nakatsu - Fukuzawa Yukichi's Old Residence Memorial Museum - Inari Shrine - Nakatsu Castle - (Anything else nice to check out?) - Back to SPA Hostel Khaosan Beppu
21Dec - Any other side trips worth from Beppu? I did thought of Usuki and Kunisaki Peninsula but it is not easy to travel without private transport as public transport are not easily available. I have this one day that I don't know where I could venture and Miyazaki seems to be a bit far off to travel to and fro
22 Dec - Check out of Beppu to Kumamoto Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya - I've not plan this yet ( like to get more inputs here if possible, like what can I do or see or anything interesting for a simple day after checking in)
23Dec - A side trip or anything in Kumamoto prefecture that is a must see.
24Dec - It's xmas eve! Will it affect my travel? Side trip from Kumamoto to Nagasaki - The Atomic Bomb Hypocenter Park - Peace Center - Atomic Bomb Museum - Back to Kumamoto Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya
25Dec - Check out of Kumamoto to Fukuoka - Anything to check out? A relax day after moving around - Back to Fukuoka AirBnB (Near JR Kashii station)
26Dec - I'm not sure about this sequence yet.... Takachiho Shrine - Amano Iwato Shrine - Amano Yasukawara - Takachiho Gorge - Watch Kagura Dance (Heard it's interesting even if I don't understand Japanese.) - Back to Fukuoka AirBnB (Near JR Kashii station)
27Dec- Canal City and Kushida Jinja, any other recommendations or side trips from Fukuoka?
28Dec - Check out from Fukuoka to Hakone
29 & 30Dec - Any side trips and interesting places from and at Hakone that is a must check out?
31 Dec Check out of Hakone to Tokyo.
I have time from 31 Dec to 5 Jan in Tokyo. I'll like to check out how Japan celebrate new year, I saw that there are interesting event activities such as people will rush to hit a "bell" in the temple when midnight strikes or something like this. Anyway I could see this? And what are the side trips worth moving around in tokyo.

I like to see nice sights, interesting museums, historical places, NICE FOOD and anything interesting and pretty or even cool experiences like wearing kimono (and doesn't burnt a hole in my pocket). Alittle of shopping but not main bulk.

So do advise me if I miss out anything or I can see anything even more interesting.

I need some advises. Should I get JR passes or any other transportation passes that will help cut down my transportation expenses? Cos I know most passes I need to get outside japan for tourist. Good and cheap eats, don't need to be a restaurant, I like street food or even like going to fish markets for sashimi. Loves sashimis, seafood (snow crab) and meats! So any recommendations too!

For some museums, do they accept student pass from other countries for concession rates? Or is there any youth cards that I can apply?

My accommodations are planned in a way that I can make side trips, not sure it's the most convenient but I based on map mainly to decide therefore I planned this places. So my accommodations are from Osaka - Hiroshima - Beppu - Kumamoto - Fukuoka (Near Hakata) - Hakone - Tokyo. As I'm backpacking, I also don't want to keep changing hostels or stays.

Are ATMs and Foreign Currency Exchange easily available?

What are the weather really like? Is it really cold on the regions that I travel to?

Any recommendations on data cards for internet for 30days and without me having to worry to exceed data for 30days. Mainly for me to use to navigate and communicate to my family such as Whatsapp. It'll be good if I can have a small amount allocated to the data sim card to do calls to hostels if I need. I've mainly found 7 days data sim without outgoing or incoming calls. And I'll be touching down and flying off at tokyo Narita Terminal 2. Can I get this there?
by lehazel  

Re: Solo Trip to Japan (Winter), 28 Days 2015/9/14 18:08
Hey guys, appreciate if you can give some comments and inputs. I'm going to Japan for 28 days in Japan. Basically, I covered abit of Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and parts of Hokkaido in my past 2 trips before. I'll like to go for solo this time round.

It would be good if you could inform what you mean on abit. Spent a night in Tokyo? How short or long was it?

Your wall of text plans
Kansai
What time does your flight arrive?
The cup noodle museum is closed once a week. I have a feeling that day is Tuesday...
Kobe looks packed. Not going for the Kobe night view from atop the mountain? The day view is nothing special IMO.
Your days are hectic/fast travel. Some people can do it but not all. Be certain of your travel pace.

Chugoku
Pace here is average. The bunny island is pretty small. But not that small. You can probably walk the perimeter in 2 hours. I took the free bus from the jetty to the hotel, played with them bunnies, and strolled back to the jetty in 1.5 hours.

Kyushu
How do you plan to get to Beppu? Train or ferry?
You may not have enough time to see all the 8 pools. I personally prefer going to hot springs over looking at colored water hot springs.
I have a feeling you are overestimating Kyushu's rail line. Besides the one straight down the center, there is no shinkansen and the trains are not frequent. Getting a car might be to your advantage. Though driving alone in a foreign land is scary.
Miyazaki can be reached if you use the super sonic. Though, you probably have to take the first train out followed by Aoshima, Udo Jinja, and one more location. Trains down the coast is interesting. Buses are slower but more scenic.

Christmas is not a Japanese holiday. It is like a couple valentine day.

Chubu
Hakone is nice for just walking about the roads and lanes. At night, you can probably see the stars. Some places would offer star gazing winter... something. Museum here could be your thing.

You can also take the bus to Fuji 5 Lakes for more scenic views of Japan's favorite mountain.

Kanto
You can view the new year festivities at a shrine. Though the more popular ones are crowded. You can also watch TV as there are many 'new year' shows. Going to a party or eating soba are other popular Japanese crossing the new year events.

I like to see nice sights, interesting museums, historical places, NICE FOOD and anything interesting and pretty or even cool experiences like wearing kimono (and doesn't burnt a hole in my pocket). Alittle of shopping but not main bulk.

Well you have a lists of interesting places so no worries there. I would like to recommend a trip to Okayama or Kanazawa but that seems impossible considering your schedule. No rest days too. I usually spend a day doing nothing and just enjoying a city when I am in Japan for 2 weeks or more.

Wearing a kimono is not a cheap experience.

You lack historical places.

Sashimi... seafood... Kinosaki onsen... too far
Tokyo has a number of sushi places
Osaka has crab place

You should get a Kyushu train pass.

Are ATMs and Foreign Currency Exchange easily available?

Yes. Not as available as say, on every street or block but good enough. Credit cards are acceptable too.

What are the weather really like? Is it really cold on the regions that I travel to?

Cold is subjective. But you would not be seeing any snow... unless there is some freakish weather. Probably would not even reach 5 degrees C.

I usually use a printer. I print all the maps. How to get there. Opening and closing times of restaurants and attractions. Train timings. You will find wifi in most hostels and hotels. Major train stations has wifi too.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo Trip to Japan (Winter), 28 Days 2015/9/14 18:53
That's a huge amount to cover. I would build in a few rest days personally, unless you're the kind of v. active traveller who wants to be on their feet all day every day!

You may be able to cover large parts of your trip with a Seishun 18 Kippu, which is a cheap pass allowing you to travel on local and rapid line JR trains. It's available only during the school holidays (which cover much of December, so fine for your trip). I don't know if it will cover all the areas you want to visit - one of the other posters here might be able to advise.

As for other side trips to consider, they've just recently re-opened Himeji castle after a lengthy restoration process. It's really beautiful, and it's an easy day trip from Osaka/Kyoto.
by mgane (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo Trip to Japan (Winter), 28 Days 2015/9/14 22:06
Well, considering that the travel pace is on the high side and I wouldn't attempt it unless I am familiar with traveling solo and traveling in Japan... The seishun 18 won't make much sense. Shortage of time is already a big factor in the OP plans.

Furthermore... Taking non-shinkansen for distances from Fukuoka to Kagoshima is enough to bang my head against the wall.... Now thinking of Kagoshima and Tokyo and everywhere in between. Why torture yourself?
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo Trip to Japan (Winter), 28 Days 2015/9/14 22:48
Hi Joshua! Thanks for the inputs! I'm arriving at tokyo narita about 1030am. Due to some "impulse" booking. *laughs*.

I've only went to shinjuku, disney sea and some shopping areas, couldn't remember much cos I didn't fancy too much of city area when I was young. Love hokkaido though. Intend to keep hokkaido in my next visit.

I did note down the opening hours of the attractions. So no worries on that.

I know I have tendency to pack my itinerary. Did some rough travel estimation with hyperdia.com. I won't say it is a must to cover all that I stated, as I believe I'll chance upon or slow down my pace as I go along. Just thought that maybe I can have a rough idea to see and can shortlist as I go along.

Basically, the travels are all by trains:
Osaka to Kobe [Shinsaibashi(by Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line) - Shin-Osaka(by SHINKANSEN NOZOMI) - Shin-Kobe (50 mins)]

Osaka to Nara [JR Kanjo-Yamatoji Lines: Y780, 50 minutes by Yamatoji Kaisoku (express), departs from JR Osaka Station and arrives at JR Nara Station. Kintetsu Nara Line: Y540, 40 minutes, departs from Kintetsu Namba Station in Osaka and arrives at Kintetsu Nara Station in Nara]

Osaka to Inuyama [Shinsaibashi(by Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line, 14min) - Shin-Osaka(by SHINKANSEN NOZOMI, 53min) - Nagoya - walk to MEITETSUNAGOYA station - Inuyama (by Meitetsu Ltd. Exp., 25min)]

Osaka to Hiroshima [Shinsaibashi(by Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line, 14min) - Shin-Osaka(by SHINKANSEN MIZUHO, 86 mins) - Hiroshima]

Hiroshima to Miyajima [I think it's by ferry. But I haven't detail it down]

Hiroshima to Kurashiki [Hiroshima (by SHINKANSEN KODAMA,53 mins) - shin kurashiki (by JR Sanyo Line, 9 mins) - kurashiki]

Hiroshima to Okunoshima [Okunoshima by taking a 15 minute ferry from Tadanoumi (忠海). Tadanoumi is about 30 minutes from Mihara (三原) on the Kure Line, and Mihara is about 30 minutes from Hiroshima on the bullet train (Kodama), or about 1.5 hours from Hiroshima on regular trains]

Hiroshima - Beppu [Hiroshima - Kokura (by SHINKANSEN NOZOMI, 46mins) - Beppu (by LTD. EXP SONIC, 76mins)]

Beppu to Yufuin [I haven't detail this down]

Beppu to Nakatsu [I haven't detail this down]

Beppu to Kumamoto [Beppu (by LTD. EXP SONIC, 70 mins) - Kokura (by SHINKANSEN SAKURA, 56 mins) - Kumamoto]

Kumamoto to Nagasaki [I haven't detail this down]

Kumamoto to Fukuoka [I haven't detail this down]

Fukuoka to Hakone [I haven't detail this down]

Hakone to Tokyo [I haven't detail this down]

For those that I have not detail it down, basically I intended to train. Unless got better or cheaper alternatives.

For kyushu, I haven't really got down the details of how to travel around yet. I do have license for bike and car but I reckon that it's pricey and may not be easy to look for parking and all as I'm not very familiar with how traffic works in japan. Prefer to take public transport.

I'll take note on the star gazing in hakone! Love this idea!

What's there in okayama or kanazawa? A side trip from? *laughs* I am greedy, if its more interesting than my current itinerary, I may see where I can squeeze some in.

I cater my evenings to be chill and do all the walkings from morning to evening. I agree I should have a rest day or a less hectic day for some days. But yet I want to see more stuffs.

Any interesting historical place to visit within the regions I'm travelling?

Is dining in a crab place pricey? I can also make do with fish market cold snow crabs too! Which I did in Hokkaido 7 years ago. I don't mind pampering myself as long not too pricey.

Yup, I will print out most stuffs if my iPad fails me, so I got my backup. Needed the data roaming as I promise to keep my family in contact. So if got any recommended plans for 30 days will be great!

Hi, mgane! Thanks for your inputs. Will himeji be too far to travel from hiroshima? Cos those side trips I plan from Osaka, I like them all! I can squeeze in during my stay in hiroshima if it's not too far!

So I guess that seishun 18 won't fit my travel, Joshua?

I only did once solo travel for one and half weeks in sydney, english speaking. Was pretty nice. I like it. I did a semi solo in taiwan for 22days, chinese speaking though my chinese not fantastic but get me by. So I'm eager to do my solo in Japan, a place I fell in love when I came to hokkaido.

Advice would be covering 3-4 attraction per day for a relaxing pace right?
by lehazel rate this post as useful

Re: Solo Trip to Japan (Winter), 28 Days 2015/9/15 02:29
That is one seriously list. Only people with strong will can do this. Since you been to Japan before getting around is not a problem, everyone made some interesting point.

Here my opinion of your daily activities to fulfill your list.

5am or 530am up get ready, try to take the first or second train out

Arrive at you first visiting spot at opening or 30 or an hour after opening

Visit 2 to 3

STOP.... EAT!, (eat at about 1230pm or 130pm)

Continue sightseeing, finish with your last 3 or 4 spot before dark.

Enjoy city and night life after your finish with what you wanted to see.

Take the last 3rd or 2nd back home

Return home. Backup photos and SLEEEEEP

Wake up next morning and do it all over again…lol

WARNING: since you are visiting in December you will be fighting day light and all attraction close at 4, 5 maybe 6pm

Set your downtime on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday since there less activities.
by Another (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Solo Trip to Japan (Winter), 28 Days 2015/9/15 11:31
Driving is on the same side as the road as Singapore. Speed limits are lesser though. Ryokans and stuff has parking. If in doubt, check the hotel website or the third party site you are using. Or you can try using email to contact the hotel. There is enough time for their reply since your trip isn't all that soon and Dec isn't a peak period.

Also attractions and natural parks has parking.

Yes. Miyajima requires a ferry. There are two ferry terminals from Hiroshima and one in Miyajima. So regardless of the ferry you take there, you'll start your miyajima trip at the same location.

I personally prefer to travel and see all that city has to offer, so next time around I can visit another city/region. Unless I really enjoyed the city, I probably won't make the effort to return there. (Imagine you really enjoyed Nagasaki, but the rest of Kyushu has no return value for you...)

I use Google Maps. Either photo it, or print it. So I know how to get from station to attraction and attraction to hotel. Sign up for JR West free wifi. Major stations (Shinkansen line) would have wifi. JR Central has free wifi too. Certain places has free wifi like Kyoto station mall, but may require certain procedures that is a hassle. E.g. Sending an email to get wifi... Putting the horse before the cart??

Both Okayama and Kanazawa has some of the best gardens in Japan. Top three Landscape gardens of Japan. I personally rate Kanazawa's Kenrokuen the top three garden of Japan (note: no landscape included). Okayama is between Osaka and Hiroshima and is probably more accessible for you. Kanzawa on the other hand is north of Kyoto and has shinkansen access to Tokyo. What some people do is a loop of Tokyo to Kanazawa to Kyoto to Tokyo. This has become popular recently, due to the shinkasen line that extended earlier this year. Due to lack of time, Okayama seems like your only option. (Though, your schedule is so busy, I doubt any option is available!)

About crab. I am ill informed. I know it exist but have no interest to try. Just let me point these out:
Osaka: Takoyaki at Domtombori, Ichiran Ramen, Mizuno Okonomiyaki
Hiroshima: Any Teppanyaki or Okonomiyaki. I tried Ya (Chinese character for Family) but there are many other places
Miyajima: grilled Oysters, maple leaf snacks
Fukuoka: Ramen heaven. Yatai stalls. Original Ichiran Ramen (queues are crazy).
Kagoshima: Wagyu, Kuro Buta
Miyazaki: Chicken sashimi, mangoes, and Cheese Manju (prefer the deep fried version) Second largest Unagi (eel) producers in Japan.
Onsen towns: Usually onsen manju or sake made from onsen water

Winter is crab season though you can get crab all your around.

Can't help you with wifi. I use free wifi. Never a day without wifi.

2-3 would be slow pace. 3-4 would be average. 5 and above is fast pace. Naturally this depends on the city. Doing 4 places in Kyoto is easy due to the small size and attractions being located near each other. Intercity attractions on the other hand...

I've a pal who did Hiroshima and Miyajima from Osaka in a day. Returned to Osaka the same night. Saying Himeji is far is not true. But it really depends. I really can't see where to fit things into your schedule.

You would need a shinkansen to get around. Would not recommend Sieshun 18 Kippu
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread