Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/15 01:19
Hi everyone,

For the upcoming trip, I will be at Tokyo for the last 4 days. I'm travelling alone and may carry 1 medium luggage, 1 duffle, and 1 large shopping bag to Narita airport.

On my last trip, I stayed at Ikebukuro and use Keisei Skyliner to Narita. I went to Keisei Ueno station in the morning, put the luggages in a locker, and buy ticket before spending the last minutes in Tokyo. It was quite a walk to the station as I usually used JR lines, but the train was cheaper and faster than Nex.

I have booked both New Ueno Izu Hotel and Sakura Hotel Ikebukuro. I've stayed at Sakura Hotel before and preferred Ikebukuro neighborhood to Ueno. Nex stops at Ikebukuro on the right time for my flight although the travel time is longer. If taking Ikebukuro + Keisei option, changing in Nippori looks better than Ueno but I don't know how the transfer to Keisei line will be.

With the circumstances, is it better to proceed with Ueno or Ikebukuro? Thank you for the advise.
by Moccy  

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/17 16:30
I have stayed at both ikeburoko and ueno. Depends on your hotel.

In ueno you can stay at a family run business hotel called ueno Touragane. I will enclose the link. It is like 3. Mins away for jr and lenses and you can leave your luggage there for the day while you shop.
Price is reasonable too.
No breakfast.

by Tommy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/17 16:35
Here is the link for the ueno hotel I was telling you about.
http://www.tougane-h.com/e/

I hope this helps.

Take the elevator down to reach the hotel. It is faster. Get instructions for the hotel.

Looks like they do serve breakfast now.

Enjoy.
by Me again (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/17 16:38
Tommy, you didn't include a link, but from looking at the hotel you named, is this the one?

http://www.tougane-h.com/e/

I've stayed there twice and it is a lovely hotel. Staff are friendly, welcoming, rooms are clean and is a very short distance to Ueno station. No meals included in the price but I think you can request breakfast for 710 yen a day. There's a restaurant on the premises which also offers good food.
by DDD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/17 16:39
Sorry Tommy, I was typing my reply as you added yours!
by DDD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/17 17:25
If you like Ikebukuro, then I'd go with that. The change from JR Yamanote line to Keisei Line at JR Nippori station is fairly easy - either a staircase or an escalator/elevator up, cross the overbridge, then go down to Keisei platform (with a ticket gate of course in between).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/17 18:23
There are a couple of (relatively) inexpensive business hotels right across from back entrance to Keisei Ueno station. I stayed there the last two nights of a recent trip, and the location plus convenience is great. You can find them via hotel booking sites, like Agoda. One was the Kinuya and the other was the Kangetsuso.

Ueno is really a pretty good place to stay. It's totally convenient for JR rail transportation, there are lots of restaurants & bars, a DonKi, the famous Yamashiroya Toy Store, and the even more famous Ameyoko shopping area.

I found a great deal on getting a suitcase for my trip home at Ameyoko st (also called America street) at My Bag, stall 67 (two other My Bag stalls are owned by the same company). Make sure to ask for a discount. My Y6,600 bag suddenly dropped to a Y6K bag by saying the magic word, "discount." I bought bags at My Bag on two different trips to use to take stuff home.

Ikebukuro is also great, but really only if you are taking the NE'X. Ikebukuro has Sunshine 60, Tokyu Hands, and a close by Don Quiote (DonKi).

I'd advise buying stuff at Ikebukuro, but staying the last night near Keisei Ueno, in order to take the Skyliner. There is a convenience store right inside Keiseu Ueno station (before the ticket barrier), where you can buy food and drink for the trip.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/9/18 00:35
Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Tougane Hotel looks awesome!! Unfortunately it has been fully booked. But I will bookmark it for the next trip!

I enjoyed staying at Ikebukuro, with plenty of food at the station. However Ueno has more convenience to the airport. For 4 days in Tokyo, I will make side trips from Shinjuku, where it's closer from Ikebukuro. However my shopping spot will be Akihabara, which is closer to Ueno.

I have a large 29" luggage I brought on the previous trip, but due to the airline regulation, the luggages has to be split to 2 x 23kg luggages, so I need to split the luggages. It is also difficult finding locker for such big bag.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Stay at Ikebukuro or Ueno? 2015/10/20 17:27
Hi everyone,
I have decided to use NEX to go to Narita. If staying at Ueno, it's only 6 mins train ride to Tokyo station to take NEX. It will be the same train departing from Ueno 30 minutes earlier. I've never been to Tokyo station before. Compared to Ikebukuro, will it be more hassle to change from other JR lines e.g. JR Keihin-Tohoku/Negishi Line Rapid to NEX, with 2 luggages + 1 carry-on bag?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread