Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting to Nikko from Tokyo 2015/9/16 12:25
Hey everyone, I'm planning my third trip to Japan and I've never really taken day trips or anything outside of the big cities I've stayed in (Tokyo and Osaka).
This time I'm going to be doing a lot of 1 and 2 day trips from Tokyo, and in my planning I've gotten a bit confused over getting to Nikko. It seems like there's a few different ways to get there/passes to get and I'm not sure which is the best.
I'm really good at taking the local trains and subways but like I said I've never really been outside of one of the big cities.
Thanks for any help.
by Josh1108  

Re: Getting to Nikko from Tokyo 2015/9/16 12:44
It depends on where you will be staying in Tokyo. If we know, we can tell you the best way.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Nikko from Tokyo 2015/9/16 13:06
Thanks for the response, I'm staying in Ikebukuro.
by Josh1108 rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Nikko from Tokyo 2015/9/16 17:15
In the unlikely event you haven't already decided to do this, a fun trip is taking the JR Shonan-Shinjuku Line from Track 2 at Ikebukuro down to Ofuna (51 minutes). There are frequent trains.

Then take the Shonan monorail at Ofuna to the end of the line.

Walk straight ahead a block and take the famous Enoden Line to Hase station, to see the iconic Great Buddah, seen in so many travel videos of Japan.

You can then continue on the Enoden to the end of the line at Kamakura and see the local sights there, later returning to Ikebukuro direct via the Shonan-Shinjuku Line.

You'll still have a half day or more to do something else.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Nikko from Tokyo 2015/9/16 18:16
@Susan

What? Where did Kamakura and Enoshima come from? The OP asks about Nikko.

@OP

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html
This page explains how to get there. I don't know when you're traveling so please note that there are currently some lines closed (Tobu as of writing this), but depending on when you're going, it may or may not be a problem.

I think a lot of people prefer using one of the Tobu passes, but again, if you're going soon, this might not be a good option.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Nikko from Tokyo 2015/9/16 21:29
There is a direct train from Ikebukuro to Nikko.
By JR and Tobu

In March of 2006, JR East and Tobu began joint limited-express service from Shinjuku station to the Nikko area.

This service offers one daily round-trip between Shinjuku and Tobu-Nikko station. The Nikko limited express departs Shinjuku at 7:12, and makes stops at Ikebukuro and Omiya, then continues via JR tracks to Kurihashi station, where control of the train is turned over to Tobu. Operating over the Tobu Nikko line, the train then makes three more stops before terminating at Tobu-Nikko. The one-way journey lasts about two hours.

Other limited express trains depart Shinjuku for Kinugawa, so you will have to transfer to a shuttle train at Shimo-Imaichi for the final run to Tobu-Nikko. This also takes about two hours. This service is all in addition to Tobu's regularly-scheduled Kegon and Kinu service into and out of Asakusa.

Seat reservations are mandatory, and the fare for this journey is \3900 each way. Japan Rail Pass holders can use this limited express train departing Shinjuku for \1560 each way (covering the portion of the trip between Kurihashi and Tobu-Nikko).

Holders of the JR East Rail Pass, on the other hand, may use the service to Nikko at no additional charge; the trip is fully covered. Unlike the regular Japan Rail Pass, the JR East Pass also covers local Tobu trains between Shimo-Imachi and Tobu-Nikko, and Shimo-Imaichi and Kinugawa-Onsen. You will have to pay separate fares for any services that are not covered.

If you plan on taking this service in both directions, consider the JR Tobu Nikko Kinugawa Free Pass (\7800), sold to Japanese and foreigners alike. Valid for three consecutive days, it includes one round-trip on the joint JR/Tobu limited express service and unlimited travel on local Tobu trains and buses within that area. It does not include admission to the Nikko temples.

There are luggage lockers at Tobu-Nikko Station and JR Nikko Station.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread