Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking around Kyoto in December 2015/9/16 17:45
I will go to Kyoto from 17-20 December 2015. Was there any possible good hiking spot around the area? I hiked Fushimi-inari several years ago, but would like to go somewhere more beautiful.

I looked around and thought of either (1) Koya-san, (2) Chukoku region, or (3) around Gifu. I will also have my parents (60s but somewhat fit) so any hike too severe is off limit.

Thank you for any recommendation.
by Gun (guest)  

Re: Hiking around Kyoto in December 2015/9/16 23:33
More beautiful? Now that's tough.

It depends on what you want to see. Stretches of Tori gate like Fushimi Inari is hard to get elsewhere in Japan. Kobe, Osaka, and Kumao all has hiking trails but are of different kind.

I wouldn't recommend hiking Kurama or Hiei as I have personally done them. Too strenuous a hike with not enough reward.

You really have to say what you want to see. Define your beautiful.
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking around Kyoto in December 2015/9/17 04:51
Hikone is supposed to be popular with hikers though I dont know the trails. Walks around Lake Biwa are quite pretty.

Based on the Fushimi Inari walk, I'd throw in the walk along the path at Arashiyama (far side of the river walking upstream). That is really pretty. Otherwise the walk up Wakakasayama (sp?) hill in Nara is nice. You get great views of Nara from the top.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking around Kyoto in December 2015/9/17 06:25
Not sure how long you are looking for, but I took a trip to Arashiyama and the walk up the mountains with the monkey park and whatnot was quite exhausting. There's also walking from the train station to Fushimi ;)

It's a bit far from Kyoto, but apparently the Kurobe alpine route is quite beautiful.
by KGhaleon rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking around Kyoto in December 2015/9/17 16:51
Thanks all for your recommendation and sorry for late reply, had meeting all day long today.

Thanks Joshua. I'll try to explain a bit more clearly. Personally, I consider Nikko, Dewa-zansan and Yamadera as beautiful and scenic places. So I think I was looking for hiking route with some good view along the way.

So far the places you guys recommended are:-
- Hikone (Lake Biwa)
- Arashiyama (walking upstream or mountain)
- Wakakasayama (sp?) hill in Nara
- Kurobe alpine route

Do you think 3 days is enough for 3 out of 4 places above? Or may be I should really go to Koya-san?
by Gun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking around Kyoto in December 2015/9/17 19:28
Nikko and Yamadera are great places. Kyoto has less mountainous regions and you probably won't get what you are looking for. Lake Biwa has no hiking since it is a lake and not a mountain.

Mt Koya is a nice place to stay overnight though I would not recommend hiking to it. The trek to Minoo in Osaka and trekking to Ise may be interesting. Uji has a mountain path along the river, though that is more for locals.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread