Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/28 18:42
I just found out that Hyperdia is only meant for schedule. You can't book the ticket.

Then I went to Odakyu website since they are the only one having direct train to Odawara. I realized again that it can't be booked online except for the Romancecar.

Will the ticket be sold out if I purchase on the spot?
by Cheldy  

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/29 15:45
There are three ways to Odawara from Shinjuku.
1, JR Shonan Shinjuku line for Odawara(not any other stations)
2, Odakyu railway(express) for Odawara
3, Odakyu romance car for Odawara

1, 75 mins, 1,490 Yen, no booking required, or you can book a reserved seat if you like
2, 99 mins, 880 Yen, no booking required
3, 73 mins, 1,770 Yen, booking is required

JR Shonan Shinjuku line for Odawara runs every one train between 10:00 - 16:00, it may not run early morning and later evening.
JR Shonan Shinjuku line carries two reserved seat cabins called "Green-sha"(Green cabin) which you need to book for the seat with extra cost other than the train ticket. It costs you 980 Yen if you buy a green seat in advance, it will be 1,240 Yen if you will buy inside green cabin.
There are several green cabin ticket machines on the platform in JR Shinjuku sta where you can buy a green seat in advance if you have a Suica IC card. Not many people buy this seat with extra cost.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/29 20:41
@tokyo friend 48

No!!

JR ShonanShinjuku line regular Raipid are No "reserved" seat car
"Futsuu ressha Green" are "non-reserved" seat cars only
just needs "Green car ticket" or by Suica(or,) No seat booking sytem.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/railway/train/green/charge/
http://www.jreast.co.jp/suica/use/green/use_system.html

Green car ticket like this
http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/19/cb/3a8277f26327503e433fe1da4916...
Only ENG ver. with "reserved" right but No "seat number" info.
http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/d/dkwsutn/20120825/20120...

So if needs JR reserved seat car take LtdExp SuperView Odoriko or seasonal train only.

by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/30 05:39
If you don't take Romance Car, which is over rated, IMO, take Kyuko Ltd Exp. which is a commuter train(going in the opposite direction away from Tokyo so less crowded), a few stops and just a tad slower than a Romance Car w/o the express surcharge or the seat booking. Don't take a local train which stops at every station and takes forever.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/30 12:37
Shonan Shinjuku line doesn't need to reserve a seat before on board but need to secure a green seat in advance or on board if you like to sit there.
But as I mentioned above, not many people sit on the green seat.
I understand this system because I'm a regular Shonan Shinjuku line user but is difficult to understand for those who like to use this rail line for the first time. So that you should follow my first post.

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/30 18:44
Thank you very much for your kind advise. BTW, what's that green cabin about?
by Cheldy rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/30 21:12
A green cabin is reserved seat cabin with extra fares. Your seat is secured up to the destination.
An ordinary cabin is you can either sit on an empty seat or need to stand while there is no empty seat.

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/30 22:18
Thank you again tokyo friend 48.

So i should take the shonan line. we will take 10am train. Is this time crowded? there are 4 of us with a baby, is it advisable to go for the green seat?

by Cheldy rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/31 07:52
Shonan Shinjuku line doesn't need to reserve a seat before on board but need to secure a green seat in advance or on board if you like to sit there.

Just to clarify again: the green car seats on the Shonan Shinjuku Line are unreserved! There is no way to reserve them in advance!

A green cabin is reserved seat cabin with extra fares. Your seat is secured up to the destination.

No, not on the Shonan Shinjuku Line! Don't mix up "green vs. ordinary" with "resevred vs. unreserved". They are two unrelated concepts. Green seats can be reserved or unreserved, as well as ordinary seats. On the Shonan Shinjuku Line, all seats are unreserved, both in the ordinary and the green cars.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Train from Shinjuku to Odawara 2015/10/31 08:03
It depends on your budget but I don't think you will need to sit on green seats to odawara.
Shonan Shinjuku line is crowded and often delay. The free seat cabin is crowded up to Yokohama station but you will see some empty seats after passing Yokohama.
And also, there are some priority seats are available for handicap, elderly, pregnant and with baby passengers where you can sit, so look for those seats first.

Shonan Shinjuku line carries gree seats on 4th and 5th cabin where you can not sit without a green seat ticket. Cabin No 6 - 8th(free seat) are crowded so I recommend you to sit on 1 - 3rd(free seat) or 9 -10th(free seat) cabin if you have enough time to move.

Shonan Shinjuku line arrives in Shinjuku sta at 9:58, leaves at 10:00 on weekdays, arrives at 9:59 and leaves at 10:00 on weekends, both from platform No.1.

Shonan Shinjuku line free seat is something like this.
http://blog-imgs-24-origin.fc2.com/b/a/b/baba0878/s-_DSC0174.jpg

Shonan Shinjuku line green seat is something like this.
http://www.mps-patients.net/images/battle/7.jpg

reply to this thread