Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8 day Central Japan Trip plus 3 day Tokyo 2015/10/30 10:27
Let me start by saying a big thank you in advance to all who would help contribute to my Japan Trip Planning.

Our family of four will arrive Narita in the morning of 20 Nov and leave on 1 Dec. We intend to stay in Tokyo during the last 4 days (from 28 Nov inclusive) so that we have 3 full day to explore Tokyo.

For the rest of the days, we hope to visit Nagoya (not very important), Takyama, Toyama, Matsumoto, Nagano and back to Tokyo. We are not adverse to self driven trip but don't mind public transport as well. Below is a draft schedule:

20 Nov Narita to Nagoya (3 hours)
21 Nov Nagoya
22 Nov Nagoya to Takayama
23 Nov Takayama to Toyama
24 Nov Toyama
25 Nov Toyama (via Tateyam Kurobe Route) to Matsumoto
26 Nov Matsumoto to Nagano
27 Nov Nagano
28 Nov onwards Tokyo

Some additional information; we have been to Kansai before and thus no intention to visit this time (Kyoto, Osaka, Nara etc).

Some considerations:
Probably need to stay in Tokyo since Teenage Kids requested for Disney Sea etc plus exploring Tokyo in greater details. We had only one day in Tokyo during our last trip.
Nagoya is not a must but would be nice if it is not too tiring.
We love onsen and thus will be very happy for recommendations base on the above schedule !
Any concern driving the Tateyama-Kurobe Alphine Route in late Nov?
We are quite a foodie family so any recommendation for nice food would be appreciated (budget around US$50-80 per meal)

Would really appreciate comments and suggestion, including whether self driven or any JR Pass to purchase.

Thank you very much :)

by SEAHCM  

Re: 8 day Central Japan Trip plus 3 day Tokyo 2015/10/30 14:06
I'd take the wideview hida from Nagoya to Takayama, it is a lovely trip. And maybe (if you haven't done it before) bus from Takayama to Shirakawa to Kanazawa rather than train from Takayama to Toyama - that trip isn't as nice.

I've spent a bit of time in Matsumoto. The castle is nice but there isn't really anything else that excited me. I probably wouldn't stay again, though it is a good place as a base to get to Kamikouchi (probably closed by the time you are there).

From Matsumoto you can go up to Nagano then back toward Tokyo stopping at Karuizawa which is quite a nice town. There are some hikes and a good shopping street there. Then maybe try Enoshima/Kamakura to finish off the trip.

That doesn't help much with your questions, does it? I always take the train because it is more relaxing...
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day Central Japan Trip plus 3 day Tokyo 2015/10/31 18:41
@Lazy Pious: Many thanks for your reply and suggestions; will check it out.

Wonder if you know whether Kurobe Alphine Route allows private car passage?
by SEAHCM rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day Central Japan Trip plus 3 day Tokyo 2015/11/1 07:09
Private cars are not allowed. The basics are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7550.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread