Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/1 13:31
Gooood morning.
I have heard the domestic travel in Japan as well as tourists from nearby asian countries have raised way beyond the normal the last years.

A travel agency told me that Japanese spring will be a peak season so I should reserve tickets quickly. I know Golden Week in late April-early May is a peak and should be avoided but what about mid-May?

A friend of mine just came back from Japan telling me some places were swarming with tourists, having to queue for long time and packed in local trains and buses as well as difficulties finding hotels.

Could I expect the same in May? Or will the most have been gone by April?
by Klax (guest)  

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/1 21:17
The number of Korean and Chinese tourists is more than in previous years, and not limited to the peak seasons. General rule of thumb is to book early, and if you don't like crowds, avoid some of the more touristy bus tour stops. There are still enough non-touristy sites that are well worth visiting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 01:47
I go often in May, after Golden Week, and have not found it crowded.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 04:48
For years, the second half of May was always my favorite time of year to visit Japan. After experiencing the crowds from the Koyo and Sakura seasons, May was usually very quiet.

Unfortunately, as @Japan Custom Tours mentioned, this is not the case anymore due to a huge influx of visitors from other Asian countries.

Although I am glad for Japan that they are receiving more tourists, I myself, have become more discouraged as a visitor. There are just not as many quiet and peaceful times as there used to be. In other words, my beloved (and almost sacred) latter part of May is no longer.

That said, I am sure you will enjoy your trip and it will be well worth it.

I would certainly book well in advance, even for May.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 15:07
I suppose this boom of Asian tourists wont decrease over the coming years so.

Are there any Golden Weeks in other Asian countries to be aware of? I read about one in China during early October for instance.

Since I have been to the most remarkable spots (including Tokyo, Osaka, most of Kyoto) already I am looking for something else.

I was thinking of touring north Kyushu for a few days. As well as exploring Shikoku island a bit more.

My friend went by the Sunrise Express from Matsue but said it was hard to find seats for it since not living in Japan. He had to use a travel agency.

Any more tourist trap spots to avoid (except Kyoto, Tokyo, etc)? I really loved that quiet feeling of being in Japan.

How do the locals react to the extreme increase in tourists by the way? Out of curiousity.
by Klax (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 15:12
Sorry for being repetitive, but by well in advance, how much well in advance do you refer to? Like 6 months (i.e. from now on) ahead?

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 15:19
Aww sorry again for repetitive post, and sorry for this long list but this is a list of suggestions at least. Some are less interest or already been there (put in brackets).

HOKKAIDO
Rishiri Rebun
Daisetsuzan
(Sapporo)
(Noboribetsu)
(Onuma)
(Shiretoko)
(Lake Akan)

TOHOKU
Shimokita Hanto
(Towada)
(Nyuto Onsen)
(Sanriku Coast)
(Dewa Sanzan)
(Aizu)
(Bandai)

KANTO
(Oze)
(Minakami)
(Gunma pref onsens)
(Nikko)
(Kawagoe)
(Narita)
(Izu Oshima)

CHUBU
(Noto Hanto)
(Shirakawago)
(Takayama)
(Gero Onsen)
(Kiso Dani)
Fuji Five Lakes
(Izu Hanto)
(Lake Hamananko)
(Nagoya)

KANSAI
(Kyoto)
(Osaka)
(Himeji)
(Amanohashidate)
(Asuka)
(Yoshino)
(Shima Hanto)
(Hikone)
(Kumano Region)
(Koya-san)
(Iga-Ueno)

SHIKOKU
Shimanami Kaido
Kochi
(Uchiko)
(Takamatsu)
(Shodoshima + Seto Inland Sea)
(Iya Dani)
(Kotohira)
(Marugame)

CHUGOKU
(Hiroshima)
(Tonomoura)
(Kurashiki)
(Daisen-san)

KYUSHU
(Nagasaki)
(Arita)
(Kumamoto)
(Takachiho)
(Aso-san)
(Kurokawa)
(Yufuin)
(Beppu)

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 16:13
Japanese who want to avoid crowded times often go shopping or just stay home. But as far as holidays go, the Japanese ARE the reason most places are crowded, so I guess they deal with it by adding to the mayhem. If you mean how do they deal with places being crowded specifically by foreigners, they may say things like "There are a lot of foreigners" or complain about them with comments like "Chinese are so noisy...", etc. Once you're there, there's not much you can do.

But really, it's not usually mayhem. For Golden Week, reserving hotels is really the main obstacle. Once you have a hotel, most places outside of Kyoto and other major tourist areas are not so crowded. Even in Kyoto, though, there are so many options, you can find historic places that are still peaceful.
by Hmm... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 16:16
Most of the places are in parenthesis, so does that mean that your only real interests are...

Hokkaido: Rishiri Rebun and Daisetsuzan
Tohoku: Shimokita Peninsula
Kanto: Nothing
Chubu: Fuji Five Lakes
Kansai: Nothing
Shikoku: Shimanami Kaido and Kochi
Chugoku: Nothing
Kyushu: Nothing

If that is right, it looks like Shikoku or Hokkaido are the only suitable options.
by Hmm... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 16:19
"Well in advance" means "as early as possible".
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 17:13
Kurobe Gorge, Toyama, Tottori and Okinawa.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan in mid-May 2016 2015/11/2 19:31
Well, for the parentetis, its not like it is not interesting, just that it is not prioritized as much, or I have been there and could do a re visit if there is time to dispose off so to say.

Last time I went to Hokkaido was in late May, apparently the season as a bit delayed but it was very cold I remember...

Since places such as Shiretoko, etc are far off except by plane (or standing out riding a train for several hours) I suppose other places in Tohoku or Chubu will be fine as well.

I went to the lavendel area of Furano last summer and it was crowded with Chinese people there. I had to litterarly fight my way into the torokko train to not be left on the platform... Then I came across Hiraizumi a few days later where there were most a few Japanese visitors... So I'd prefer the latter of course...

I also consider the possibility of bad weather, in case getting stuck in far off places because of no trains or airplanes running would be put into consideration.

reply to this thread