Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip from osaka, not nara,kobe,mt koya 2015/11/3 00:03
Hi guys this will be the 3rd time I will be going to Japan.

And I would like your suggestions on places to a visit as a day trip from Osaka, I have already been to Kobe, Mt koya, Nara and Kyoto, thus I would like to visit an area which is somewhat different or interesting enough as the above mentioned.

If possible share your experiences on the not so beaten path in Japan you guys have taken.
Examples: Himeji, Iga, but I dont know, castles and ninja museums seem boring.
by yummychris  

Re: Day trip from osaka, not nara,kobe,mt koya 2015/11/3 10:50
Amanohashidate
You can see the second view of the Japan Three Views
You can go to onsen for a nice soak
There are some unique local snacks
You can see boat houses (houses built half on water, half on land; and two garages, one for the boat the other for car) on the other side of amanohashidate

Kumano
Large Toori Gate
Dense forest
pilgrim trails

Ise
Large Shrine
Less colorful than the usual bright red
Similar to Meiji Shrine in Tokyo but way larger
One of the few shrines that was built before Buddhism influences so the architecture is worthwhile
The large open spaces and greenery is nice
Number of shops leading up to the Shrine gate

Okayama
Has a small castle and a large garden
You can also take a boat around the garden

Himeji
The castle is really beautiful

Kanazawa
Like Okayama but the castle ground are way larger and there are traditional districts. The many museums helps. Food is great too.

Hiroshima
Miyajima and the peace park are both nice contrasting experiences.

there are others but as a day trip, it may not be possible. E.g. Kii-Katsura has excellent onsen and tall super waterfall
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from osaka, not nara,kobe,mt koya 2015/11/3 10:52
I liked Uji though I don't think it is a full day thing. Also I found Hikone (just near Maibara) a lot of fun, though it has a castle.

Have you thought about getting over to Shikoku, or maybe a trip to Ise? I haven't done either of those but they are on the list.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from osaka, not nara,kobe,mt koya 2015/11/3 20:36
You say castles "seem" boring. Does that mean you've never visited one? They are an important part of Japanese history. I personally love castles and some of the best castle towns also have historic districts and gardens made by the former lords.

Hikone is actually a good castle town to see each of these. Hikone Castle is an original castle, Genkyuuen Garden is the garden of the former lord, and although the remnants of the castle town are less, there are still some there. The museum is also very nice.

Himeji Castle is the largest original castle. The grounds are great to roam around and the castle tends to impress even the most sceptical visitors. It has a garden, Kokoen, but it's a modern garden with no real relation to the castle. Still, Himeji is nice.

Okayama is a nice place. Yes, it has a castle, and the castle is nice, but it's not the main attraction. Korakuen Garden is a large, impressive garden. There are also some nice museums.

If you like biking, the Kibi Plains is highly recommended as a way to visit historic sites on a nice cycling course through the countryside.

Kurashiki is a large historic district that also has the Ohara Museum, a museum of Western art (the first in Japan). Most of the works were done by quite famous artists. You could do this in combination with Okayama quite easily.

Osaka has direct trains to Tottori if you are looking for something a little different. The sand dunes and sand art are well worth it and the area has other sites if you have time.

Others have made good recommendations, and there are many more, but you'll have to say more about what kind of places you're interested in if what you've read is still not what you're looking for.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Day trip from osaka, not nara,kobe,mt koya 2015/11/3 22:28
If you have a JR Pass I suggest Shirahama (White Beach). It is a large, pure white beach. Also there you can get lunch at a huge fish market, see an arch rock formation in the ocean, go down into a cave where the water rushes in, etc.
There are photos here. To run as a slideshow, click "Slideshow", upper right. http://dickh.zenfolio.com/p980453637
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread