Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trail between Asahidake and Tenninkyo? 2009/7/29 17:27
Is the trail between Asahidake and Tenninkyo passable in the middle of September considering no expirience in hiking?
by enipal  

... 2009/7/29 17:44
I have not hiked it personally, but this is what my map says:

3 hours from Asahidake to Tenninkyo or 2.5 hours the other way around
That is a considerable distance for an unexperienced hiker.

it is a calm course without any other hikers around
In other words: no help around if you get into troubles

And most importantly:
a section of the trail (near Tenninkyo) was closed in December 2007 and had not been reopened by 2008 when the map was published
Inquire in advance whether the trail is fully passable, otherwise, you might be forced to backtrack 3 hours after a 3 hour hike.

There is also a risk of meeting bears, so you better bring a bear bell.

To unexperienced hiker, I recommend not to use the trail, but instead walk along the shorter trails at the upper station of the ropeway. There is a risk of snow around the upper station of the ropeway from around mid September (it is the first place in all of Japan to receive the first snow).
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/29 18:49
Well... It's a real pity 'cause it would be nice to visit Tenninkyo also...

May be it's possible by bus? (Actually, I've asked you about this already in another thread: http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+6... Or taxi, may be?

Thank you so much again, Uji!
by enipal rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/29 18:58
Tenninkyo is served by the same bus that goes to Asahidake Onsen.

In direction of Asahidake Onsen, the 9:10 and 15:30 departures make a stop at Tenninkyo before continuing to Asahidake Onsen, while the 12:40 departure does not.

In the opposite direction, none of the buses stop at Tenninkyo. It means that you will have to travel via Asahidake Onsen, I believe.

... 2009/7/29 22:21
Thanks, Uji!

It means that you will have to travel via Asahidake Onsen, I believe.

I've send an inquiry via e-mail to Asahidake Visitors Center about the trail condition and possibility of taxi ride between two hot springs. Hope they help. :-)

Bear bell 2009/7/29 22:27
There is also a risk of meeting bears, so you better bring a bear bell.

Could you please tell me what the bear bell looks like and where can we get it?

... 2009/7/30 07:12
Photos of bear bells:
http://images.google.com/images?q=bear%20bell&sourceid=...

They are available at shop in the ropeway station of Asahikawa Onsen.

The purpose of the bells is to inform the bears that you are coming in order to avoid a surprise meeting. Instead of bear bells, you can also just talk loudly during your hike, so that present bears are aware of your arrival, and can disappear in time.

Trail between Asahidake and Tenninkyo? 2011/5/26 19:14
Hi, I was looking for information on trails between tenninkyo and asahidake when I found this thread. Is the trail still impassable? I'm planning on going in July...
by mother duck (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/27 08:38
The following page about hiking trails in the region mentions that the state of the trail is unknown and that there is a risk of avalanches. But besides the current winter conditions, it does not mention any damage to the trail.

reply to this thread