Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido free&easy 2011/5/24 22:28
‚±‚ñ‚É‚¿‚Í! Hi all! I'm looking to visit Hokkaido free and easy. Most likely I'll visit in a month of June (either this year or next). I've some questions about Hokkaido.

1.How easy is it to get around Hokkaido and reach the attractions using public transport free and easy?

2.Is Hokkaido tourist-friendly? Although I can speak, read and write a little Japanese, it is by no means perfect. I can speak English and Chinese well.

3.I would like to travel to all major parts of Hokkaido, especially major attractions. How much days should the trip be?

4.With reference to part 3, how should my itinerary be? Since Hokkaido is rather big, I'd rather arrive and depart in different airports.

5.Any other tips that may help me in planning my trip?
by aforl (guest)  

... 2011/5/25 09:08
It is great to have "Hokkaido Free&Easy" questions back in the forum after a 2 months absence.

1.How easy is it to get around Hokkaido and reach the attractions using public transport free and easy?

It depends on the attraction. Generally speaking, it is easy in cities, and difficult outside of cities.

Is Hokkaido tourist-friendly?

Yes, very much so. But in many places you might not find people with English or Chinese language knowledge.

Although I can speak, read and write a little Japanese, it is by no means perfect. I can speak English and Chinese well.

That is good enough most of the time, especially if you stay at places that are used to foreign tourists (many places in Hokkaido are these days - especially to Chinese speaking tourists)

I would like to travel to all major parts of Hokkaido, especially major attractions. How much days should the trip be?

About one month would be necessary. Rental car highly recommended. Otherwise, it could take even more.

With reference to part 3, how should my itinerary be? Since Hokkaido is rather big, I'd rather arrive and depart in different airports.

That is a good idea. Hakodate is naturally a good place to start or end the trip. Wakkanai, Memanbetsu or Kushiro could be good choices at the other end of the island.

Any other tips that may help me in planning my trip?

The following guide is filled with them:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1101.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hokkaido free&easy 2011/5/25 19:31
Thanks for your reply.

You suggested rental car. May I know how much is the cost of renting a car per day? I know it differs from company to company, but how much on the average? And what are the requirements needed? Age and International Driving License?
by aforl (guest) rate this post as useful

rental car 2011/5/25 22:16
You need an international driving permit based on the Geneva Convention of 1949 (the international driving permit from some countries eg Belgium are based on a different convention and are not valid in Japan).
by kcrackerg rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/26 09:40
The basics about car rental are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

For a small sized car, you should calculate about 6000-7000 yen per day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread