Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train Pass Puzzle advice 2011/5/25 10:56
I'm taking my first trip to Japan this summer. I have a business trip for five days in Osaka; prior to that, I'm going to spend two weeks visiting Kyoto, the Alps region and Mt. Koya. I've booked most of my lodgings and have organized a nice trip, I think. The one thing I can't seem to figure out is the best savings on transportation costs. Far as I can tell, none of the JR Area passes are worth purchasing given my itinerary. Below is my itinerary with some notes about train fares (from Hyperdia- for unreserved seats. Any advice on the best rail passes for my trip would be most welcome!
DAY 1 Arrive Kansai, train to Kyoto (Kansai day pass to take train?)
DAY 2 Kyoto (local day passes?)
DAY 3 Kyoto
DAY 4 Kyoto
DAY 5 Kyoto
DAY 6 Kyoto to Nakatsugawa or Nagiso, visit Kiso Valley, sleep Tsumago (train 7200-8200 Yen)
DAY 7 Continue Kiso visit AM, then afternoon train Nagiso - Matsumoto (about 1400), check bag and visit castle if time, then Nohi bus to Hirayu Onsen. Sleep Onsen.
DAY 8 Visit Okuhida onsen area, hike Kamikochi or take ropeway. Nohi bus service to hop around. Sleep 2nd night Hirayu Onsen.
DAY 9 Nohi bus to Takayama. sightsee Takayama. Sleep Takayama
DAY 10 Visit Takayama, or day trip to Shirakawa-go (Nohi Bus). 2nd night in Takayama.
DAY 11 Takayama to Kanazawa (Nohi Bus). Sleep Kanazawa
DAY 12 Visit Kanazawa. 2nd night Kanazawa.
DAY 13 Visit Kanazawa, 3rd night Kanazawa
DAY 14 Kanazawa to Koyasan (5-6 hour trip - 9500 plus 380 cable car, OR, buy fare to Osaka (7200) then use Koyasan special excursion rail deal). Sleep Mt. Koya temple
DAY 15 Visit Koyasan. Sleep 2nd night temple.
DAY 16 Travel to Osaka (fare ?)
DAY 17 Osaka (business trip)
DAY 18 Osaka
DAY 19 Osaka
DAY 20 Osaka
DAY 20 Day trip to Nara
DAY 21 Osaka to Kansai Airport DEPART
by michelle415  

... 2011/5/25 11:54
Regular tickets are likely to come cheapest for the long distance bus and train rides.

For the cities, some of the day passes can pay off, such as a 1-day Osaka subway pass. I always use prepaid cards such as Icoca and the Surutto Kansai Card. They often come cheaper than day passes, especially if you plan your days in a way that requires you to ride the subway/buses only 0-3 times per day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Shirakawago 2011/5/25 16:25
Uji has answered your question about passes, I just thought I'd comment on this part of your trip:-
DAY 9 Nohi bus to Takayama. sightsee Takayama. Sleep Takayama
DAY 10 Visit Takayama, or day trip to Shirakawa-go (Nohi Bus). 2nd night in Takayama.
DAY 11 Takayama to Kanazawa (Nohi Bus). Sleep Kanazawa

If you want to see Shirakawago (and you should) then I would stop there on the way from Takayama to Kanazawa on Day 11. Do not go as a day trip on Day 10 as this wastes time and you will be doubling back, plus you miss out on time in Takayama.

So, on Day 11, catch the 8:50am Nohi Bus from Takayama station to Shirakawago which arrives at 9:40am. Leave your luggage in the coin lockers at Shirakawago, or leave them in the tourist office at the bus stop. Then explore Shirakawago, then catch the 1:50pm bus from Shirakawago which arrives in Kanazawa at 3:05pm. You should book the buses beforehand at the Nohi Bus in Takayama. I think four hours is fine in Shirakawago, but if you want more then obviously catch the later bus!

You could also consider staying overnight in a Gassho Zukkuri house in Shirakawago (on day 11), although it sounds like your accommodation is already set.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/26 02:32
thanks Uji and GC3, good advice on Shirakawa-go. I had the same thought when I planned the itinerary and you confirmed it.

I know I can't buy train tickets before I get to Japan. Do you think I should buy all my tickets at the same time when I get to Kyoto? And second question, GC3, you know the schedules well, it is possible for me to buy a Nohi Bus Co. multi-day travel pass in Matsumoto? On their website, it looks like they only sell these in Takayama.

Thanks
by michelle415 rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/26 09:37
Do you think I should buy all my tickets at the same time when I get to Kyoto?

No, I would only book the trains a day or two in advance, or to be honest I'd probably book some on the day unless you have a fixed schedule. For the buses I'd tend to book them a few days in advance as required.

And second question, GC3, you know the schedules well, it is possible for me to buy a Nohi Bus Co. multi-day travel pass in Matsumoto? On their website, it looks like they only sell these in Takayama

Which multi-day pass are you referring to? The Alps one? To be honest, I'm not sure if you can buy that in Matsumoto. Perhaps Uji or one of the other travellers can assist?
by GC3 rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/26 11:23
The following is a pass, which is also available in Matsumoto:
http://www.alpico.co.jp/mrc/tickets/pdf/wide20100730e.pdf

I did not make the calculation on whether it pays off versus individual tickets.
by Uji rate this post as useful

........... 2011/5/26 13:13
Yes, we bought the 4days Shinshu/Hida pass 10,000yen from Matsumoto bus terminus. U can buy it just before yr bus trip.

Covers our 4 day trips
Day 1 from Matsumoto to Shin-hotaka via Hirayu onsen
Day 2 - Shin-hotaka to Takayama
Day 3 - Takayama to Shirakawa-go
Day 4 - Back to Shirakawa-go, then to Takayama & Matsumoto

It also covers journeys to Kamikochi & even Gero onsen. But it does not cover the journey from Shirakawa-go to Kanazawa
by CYC (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/5/29 03:38
Thanks everyone.
by michelle415 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread