Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheap way to get to Magome from Tokyo? 2011/5/25 23:25
I want to walk the Magome-Tsumago part of the Nakasendo road sometime next week.
My JR Pass will be over by then, so I'm looking for a budget way to get there from Tokyo.
The cheapest one I've found on Hyperdia is about 8000 Yen one way (via Tachikawa and Shiojiri by Ltd. Express Azusa and local trains). Is there any way I can cut the price down?
by costipl  

... 2011/5/26 11:30
Highway bus is cheapest, as explained on the Kiso Valley access page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6079.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

booking a bus? 2011/5/26 22:57
Thanks for the link, don't know how I missed that...

Probably a stupid question, but: how do I book a ticket for this route? The instructions don't mention any specific company (I assume JR?) and bus travel in Japan is a total mystery to me.

Also, is it possible to do the hike as a one-day trip with a bus? I assume I'd have to start at Magome, walk to Tsumago and return to Magome for the return highway bus to Tokyo, correct?
by costipl rate this post as useful

You'll have to spend the night 2011/5/27 06:35
As near as I can figure out, if you take the bus, you'll have to stay overnight somewhere around Magome, Tsumago, Nagiso, or Nakatsugawa. It takes 4 1/2 hours down and the return bus leaves in the morning for Tokyo. You could go down by bus and take the train back, but you still wouldn't have much time in the area other than the hike.

Some information is here:
http://inakaweekends.blogspot.com/2009/09/magome-to-tsumago.html

On this site there's a link to the Highway Bus site with instructions on how to book.
As near as I could figure, if you book online you can get a further discount of Y3500 from Shinjuku bus terminal to Magome rest area.

When you get to Tsumago, you can catch a bus to Nagiso and pick up a train there, or just walk 40 minutes into town. You can also catch a bus back to Magome and Nakatsugawa from Tsumago. Nagiso and Nakatsugawa are on a JR line. You might be able to catch a train into Nagoya and pick up a night bus back to Tokyo.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread