Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Situation in Kansai 2011/5/28 22:56
Hi everyone,

My husband and I have initially planned to visit Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe for our honeymoon in June. Due to nuclear accident, we are a little concerned about radiation and if the Kansai region is affected. Friends have been advising us not to go as the negative effects of radiation may take years to surface, and we are now uncertain if we should cancel the trip.

How is the situation in the Kansai region? Do they have higher than usual radiation levels? We really appreciate your honest opinions.

Thanks in advance.
by Lauren (guest)  

... 2011/5/29 08:23
The Kansai region was never affected! It is over 500 kilometers from the reactors! Radiation levels never rose. There was no radioactive fallout. I am sorry, you were a victim of the sensationalist hysteria.

Not even in Tokyo, which is 200 kilometers from the reactors, are radiation levels heightened now.

The only place where you will find massive radiation is during your flight. The radiation during flights is more than 100 times higher than the radiation in Kyoto and Tokyo. And more than 10 times higher than the radiation level in Fukushima City, 50 kilometers from the plants. That is because the airplane travels in heights of 10,000 meters where cosmic radiation is much higher. Yet, you still have people interested in being pilots and flight attendants.

Here are some basics about the current state:
http://www.japan-guide.com/news/0018.html

And about radiation:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eq/eng/04_recovery.htm#city
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/29 10:11
well, you friends are ill informed.

as mentioned, kansai has not been affected.

enjoy your trip.
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

No worries 2011/5/29 16:40
Uji-san has posted the correct information. No need to worry whatsoever about visiting Kansai region or Tokyo in regards to radiation.
No, there is no radiation issue. No, there is no food poisoning scare. No, there is no shortage of bottled water. No, there is no blackout as you may imagine. No, people will welcome you wherever you go. Yes, Japan is safe unless you take an inside tour of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.
by Come ! (guest) rate this post as useful

Situation in Kansai 2011/5/29 19:31
I ha just returned fr Tokyo & Kansai area.
There should not be any problem in radiation as I understand that the Radiation level in Tokyo is back to pre-diaaster level. Moreover Kansai is many hundreds KM away fr the affected nuclear plant area
Victor
by ntwan11 rate this post as useful

Radiation Myth 2011/5/29 21:48
If you check, the radiation levels in NY city are higher than Tokyo.
by S Dressage (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread