Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another Working Holiday Visa Question! 2011/6/2 12:01
Hey guys,
I've posted here once before and got some very helpful advice, so I figured I'd try again! I know there are lots of threads with questions about the Working Holiday Visa, and I've checked a number of them recently, but I hope I've got an inquiry that's on a slightly different tack... and if it isn't, I'm sorry to repeat a previously answered question!

Anyway, here it is:
I know that it is impossible to get the Working Holiday Visa twice... but is there a slight way around this stipulation? I ask this because I have recently returned to Canada after spending a year in Japan on the Working Holiday Visa (great experience!) and I know that if I want to go there again and apply for another visa from within Canada then it must be another type of visa, like a work visa. But would I be applicable for a WHV if I were to apply from the UK? I was originally born in the UK, have British citizenship and a valid UK passport, and have been planning to go back to visit/live there at some point in the future (I have lots of family there that I'd love to spend time with)... but would this allow me to be eligible for a UK WHV to Japan? And if, let's say, I were to go there for a short visit (1-3 months), would applying for a WHV during that time be possible? Not so much in terms of the processing time, as I know that at least 3 weeks are necessary, but I guess I'm asking if I would be allowed to do so despite not being a permanent resident there.

Responses are much appreciated! Thanks for your time~ :)
by O Mocha  

... 2011/6/2 12:57
I believe that you need to have lived in the country of your citizenship (the country under whose passport you would be applying for the WHV) for at least... six months or so prior to your application. So... if you do go back to the UK and "live" there for a while as a resident, that way "may" be available.

I do not know if they cross-check for dual nationality holders, though.
by AK rate this post as useful

~ 2011/6/5 02:13
Thanks for your response, AK!

Ah yes, I had a feeling that applicants would be expected to be residents for a certain amount of time before applying... I will see about contacting the Consulate of Japan in the UK to get more details on this.

As for cross-checking people with dual citizenship, I really hope they don't!
by O Mocha rate this post as useful

whv 2011/6/5 09:09
Hi,

I would like to know how long does to apply for WHV in Canada..approximative one week or 2 weeks?

by sanpellecrino (guest) rate this post as useful

Canadian WHV 2011/6/5 09:43
Hi sanpellecrino,

When I applied for a Working Holiday Visa in Canada last year it took about 1 week for my application to be processed. However, I imagine that the time frame could vary depending on which city the applicant resides in and what time of year it is. They ask applicants to submit applications at least 3 weeks prior to departure so, perhaps in some cases, processing time could take that long (if not longer).

Good luck! :)

thks 2011/6/5 10:02
Hi

Thank u for ur reply :)
One more question: Can I get a round- trip ticket or I must have a return ticket?
by sanpellecrino (guest) rate this post as useful

~ 2011/6/5 10:20
Yep, you have to show them a return ticket (or a flight itinerary) when you submit your application.

For more info on the requirements for the Working Holiday Visa, please check out these links as well! :
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/programme.html
http://www.ca.emb-japan.go.jp/canada_e/Visa/working_holiday.html

You can find the application documents at that second link as well. :)

reply to this thread