Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

E. coli outbreak in Japan? 2011/6/3 17:52
I'll be flying to japan for 10 days holiday next week with my family.
Then i saw this on news..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1132872/1/...

TOKYO : E. coli infections have been found among at least 15 customers of a Korean-style barbecue restaurant in Japan, officials said on Thursday.

The strain involved is not the same as the one causing the current outbreak in Europe.

Of the 20 people who became sick in Toyama prefecture, 15 were infected with the O157 strain of E. coli bacteria after eating at an outlet of the popular Gyukaku restaurant chain on May 6, local officials told reporters.

All 20 patients experienced moderate symptoms and have recovered, they said, adding that the diners probably used the same chopsticks to cook raw meat slices and to eat them.

REINS International, the Tokyo-based operator of the Gyukaku chain, apologised and said it suspected the infections might have been caused by Australian beef imports.

The company said it had changed its Australian supplier, but a public health inspection of the affected restaurant did not find E. coli bacteria.

At least four people in Japan have died from E. coli bacteria food poisoning since April after eating raw beef at a different low-price Korean-style barbecue restaurant chain.

- AFP/al
by Marlinz  

... 2011/6/3 18:34
Unless you eat "raw" meat, processed, delivered, and served by entities who neglected to follow the right procedures, you have nothing to worry about.

But to begin with, in humid/hot climate, you need to be careful with eating raw meat, generally speaking.
by AK rate this post as useful

processing in Japan 2011/6/3 21:34
by fmj rate this post as useful

.. 2011/6/3 22:55
Glad to hear that thing is fine in Japan.
So we can enjoy our holiday without fear...
by Marlinz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread