Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu Day Trips 2011/7/5 21:48
Hi folks, i'm visiting Kyushu on the 20th of October for 3 days. I'll be staying in a hotel in Hakata. I'm been pondering where to go for a few day trips. On the thursday i'm just looking to chill and have a look around Fukuoka, but want to go on a day trip on the friday and saturday. I've been thinking between Nagasaki, Kumamoto and Kagoshima.

I can only choose two places to visit due to time, if anyone could recommend which ones are worth visiting that would be great. As i can't seem to choose one over the other atm :P
by Hugh from Scotland  

... 2011/7/6 09:35
I definitely recommend to decide on personal interest. In addition, you can also consult the user ratings:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1108.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyushu 2011/7/6 10:45
Assuming you travel by train, of the 3 cities on your list, my personal feeling is that Kumamoto is the only one that you should consider as a daytrip from Fukuoka. It is less than an hour by train and the 2 main sights in town (Kumamoto Castle and Suizenji-koen) can be easily covered in a day.

Nagasaki and Kagoshima are both about 2 hrs by train from Fukuoka, meaning you have to spend 4 hrs on a roundtrip leaving very little time for sightseeing. Nagasaki has a lot of history and deserves at least a one night stay to take in all. If going all the way down south to Kagoshima, nearby Sakurajima should not be missed which means again it is better not to rush back to Fukuoka for the night.

Actually even for Kumamoto, it is better to spend a night there as Kumamoto is a good base for an excursion to Mt. Aso.

Another famous Kyushu destination that is feasible as a daytrip from Fukuoka is Beppu which is less than 2 hrs by train to the east. You can cover the various "hells' in a day. But most will opt to stay there for an onsen experience. I find Beppu a bit too touristy and for a dip I like a stay in Yufuin better.

If you are limited to daytrips from Fukuoka, consider some less popular but equally worthwhile destinations in the northern part of Kyushu. Here are a couple of suggestions listed on another forum:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298206-i13023-k4575200-l34053256-...
by William5 rate this post as useful

Day trip from Hakata 2011/7/6 20:28
Dazaifu is a really good day trip (40mins). If you are heading further (just under 2 hours) Nagasaki is one my favourite places in the whole of Japan. A beautiful city.
by Jimbojapan rate this post as useful

Thanks 2011/7/8 15:28
Cheers guys for the feedback regarding this.

I've already booked my hotel in Hakata, so i wouldn't be able to rebook to stay over night at those places.

I'm still in two minds where to go. But at the moment i think i'll go to Kumamoto to see the castle etc and Nagasaki to see the Peace Park and Battleship Island.
by Hugh from Scotland rate this post as useful

Kagoshima is wornderful 2011/7/9 14:52
You can see Japan`s most active volcano "Sakura-Jima" in Kagoshima. The volcano is in it`s lively season, so you can see the dynamic natural eruption show, if you are a lucky person.

Kagoshima was the most progressive district in 16th Century, so there are many historical monuments and sites around the city. I recommend you to visit "Sengan-en", local people call it "Iso-Teien", because it`s (a residence of former local governor "Tonosama") the best observation site for enjoying the beautiful style of Sakura-jima.

It will take only 70 mins from Fukuoka(Hakata sta) to Kagoshima(Kagoshima-Chuo sta) by JR-Shinkansen.
by chmoker (guest) rate this post as useful

Nagasaki 2011/7/10 12:10
October is my favorite time of the year and Nagasaki is one of my favorite cities in the world. Catching an early morning express bus or train and returning late evening will give you time to see some of Nagasaki. If it were me I'd get a cheap hotel room and spend the night.
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

hotel 2011/7/10 15:42
I've already booked my hotel in Hakata, so i wouldn't be able to rebook to stay over night at those places

If you figure in the cost of transportation back and forth you could stay in a cheap hotel for about the same money. maybe difficult for a Scotsman to accept that-)
by jimbo (guest) rate this post as useful

ta 2011/7/11 02:28
lol thanks Jimbo. I'm going to be in Japan for a few weeks but only have a few days in Kyushu. I've got my JR Pass, so transport wise won't cost me anything more :P
by Hugh from Scotland rate this post as useful

reply to this thread