Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa in October 2011/7/7 19:59
Hi

I am thinking of going to Okinawa middle of October. I heard it is typhoon period, what does it mean? Can flights from Tokyo to Okinawa be cancelled? Ferries to and fro islands in Okinawa affected? How often does typhoon come?

Thank you for any information!

regards
Anqi
by Anqi (guest)  

... 2011/7/7 23:04
I heard it is typhoon period, what does it mean?

July to September is the peak of the typhoon season with 1.5 to 2 typhoons hitting Okinawa per month. In October, the number of typhoons that hit Okinawa drops below an average of one.

What does it mean? It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2117.html

Can flights from Tokyo to Okinawa be cancelled? Ferries to and fro islands in Okinawa affected?

Yes. Usually for about one day or not even. And the sea often remains rough for another day, which can result in (safe but) rough ferry rides.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/8 00:23
I went to Okinawa in early October of 2008. The weather was gorgeous. Water temps were great. We did have some rain showers, but that is to be expected.

Having said that in October 2007, a typhoon caused the postponement of the Naha Tug-of-War. (BTW, you may want to time your trip to see this. Quite a sight).
by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

Yes 2011/7/8 00:40
I went to Okinawa (Miyakojima) in late October 2010 and a typhoon ruined 4 days out of 6.
Flights were cancelled too.
by Bkitty (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/7/8 02:22
Anqi,

The end of October is supposed to be quite ideal. Less typhoons, less tourists, still swimmable, not too hot.

The downside is that it's so ideal that it's time for school trips. You will see hundreds of teenagers per school going up and down Naha and various parts of the main island.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/8 09:56
a typhoon ruined 4 days out of 6

This is very unusual. A typhoon usually passes in 24 hours (in terms of closures and inability to go outside) and the weather is rarely negatively influenced by a typhoon alone for more than 24-48 hours. If it lasted 4 days, there must have been another bad weather system besides the typhoon. Or it was one of these rare typhoons that suddenly slow down for a day or two. It is not the usual pattern, though.

I think of typhoons just as an extreme case of bad weather. Bad weather can potentially ruin part of your holidays at any time of the year in any part of Japan. if it happens, it happens.

Despite the typhoons, mid June to October is the best time to visit in terms of weather. There are more sunny days than during any other time of the year.
by Uji rate this post as useful

For Uji 2011/7/8 17:16
Uji : It was a typhoon. The number 14 to be exact.
by Bkitty (guest) rate this post as useful

Travel to Okinawa in Oct 2011/7/8 20:22
October is near the end of typhoon season. That being said, there is always a chance of flights being cancelled or ferries not operating. Typhoons generally move through quickly so they are only minor problems for travel. .
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you all! 2011/7/8 20:39
Hi thanks for all the prompt answers. ^_^

This is my 4th trip to Japan and I've visited quite some places already except Okinawa. I guess I will take my chance with the weather (as on all trips) and hope for the best. :)

Arigato! ^_^

by Anqi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread