Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using JR West Sanyo Pass 2011/7/9 13:24
Hi. I will be visiting western Japan for a few days in the beginning of August by ferry from Korea. I plan on using the JR West Sanyo Pass. On day 2 of my trip I will be using the pass to travel from Hakata to Hiroshima (sight-see in Hiroshima) then go to Kyoto where my hotel is. However I realized that the pass does not cover train travel beyond Shin-Osaka. Should I get off the train, buy another ticket, and then transfer to another train to Kyoto or Can I stay on the train and pay the difference to the train attendant, or when I am reserving my ticket at the ticket counter in Hiroshima?
by Calla147  

... 2011/7/10 13:56
Should I get off the train, buy another ticket, and then transfer to another train to Kyoto or Can I stay on the train and pay the difference to the train attendant, or when I am reserving my ticket at the ticket counter in Hiroshima?

If you travel by unreserved seats, I think you could theoretically just stay on the train and pay the difference at Kyoto Station.

However, if you want to travel by reserved seats or you want to take care of the matter ahead of the actual trip, you can do pay for the difference and arrange things at Hakata or Hiroshima Station at the ticket counter.
by Uji rate this post as useful

by the way 2011/7/10 13:58
If you buy the ticket at Hakata Station, I recommend to do so at a ticket counter that is operated by JR West as opposed to a ticket counter that is operated by JR Kyushu. It might be difficult to recognize the difference, but the JR West staff is likely to be more familiar with the Sanyo Pass than the JR Kyushu staff.

If you buy it at Hiroshima Station, all ticket offices are by JR West.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2011/7/11 00:26
As the Shinkansen fare is nearly 3,000 Yen and the regular train is 540 Yen, I would get off at Shin Osaka and transfer to the JR Special Rapid Service. You should be able to purchace the ticket at Hiroshima or certainly when you transfer at Shin Osaka. It will probably take you an extra 15-20 minutes journey/transfer time.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread